Bolivian Ram Attacking Cories

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by fishhh, Apr 23, 2017.

1. fishhhValued MemberMember

hi, I have 4 Cory catfish and I just got a Bolivian ram and every time I feed the fish the ram pokes each of the cories with its mouth to keep them from eating their sinking pellets. I feed the ram chiclid food but it wants to keep fighting my cories for their food, im afraid the cories will be stressed and not have enough food to eat. What should I do

2. Al913Fishlore VIPMember

What size tank? You should drop the pellets in different areas!

I suggest you also up the cory group to 6 since they are shoaling fish.

3. fishhhValued MemberMember

20 gallon long tank, and ok I can drop them in different areas since I usually just drop them in 1 area

I'm not sure how many sinking pellets I should be putting in the tank either, I used to put 3 per 4 cories but now I have Amano shrimp that like to steal the pellets too

Last edited: Apr 23, 2017
  4. fishhhValued MemberMember

The ram is still attacking the cories and pokes them in their eyes when they're trying to feed... is there something I can do to stop this?

I can't tell if the cories are stressed by this or getting hurt. They swim away when the ram attacks them, but then go back to looking for food on the bottom of the tank. I don't want them to die of stress...

Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
  5. Tiny_TanganyikansWell Known MemberMember

I'm surprised my Bolivians are very peaceful and there are two breeding pair in a community with 25 panda cories. The most they do is chase away from their spawning rocks.

Try rearranging the aquarium so there is more boundaries and the ram can have its own territory. Feed food on opposite sides of the aquarium. Like slow sinking pellets/granules first and then the cories food.

Are there many other fish? A 20 long should be plenty of room for the 5 fish mentioned even if packed with plants and rocks etc

Exactly what type food is it? How big is it? If they're the pellets I'm thinking of 12 pellets could be a lot.

6. fishhhValued MemberMember

There's only the 5 fish, I feed the cories shrimp pellets that are maybe 4mm big, so pretty big. The ram likes the eat the shrimp pellets too, I'm not sure how much it cares for the chiclid flakes I've been feeding it since it just spits them out... I'm wondering if I should get different food for them.. I can try moving the decorations around too

7. Tiny_TanganyikansWell Known MemberMember

That's a lot of food, 1 pellet each would be more than plenty

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice