Bolivian Ram Aggression

Discussion in 'Ram Cichlid' started by tyguy7760, Jul 19, 2015.

1. tyguy7760

tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

So my bolivian ram is getting more and more aggressive towards my 2 sunset thicklipped gouramis (both female). I'm not sure what sex the ram is but if I had to guess it would also be female. Originally they hung out together all the time. Then it turned into the occasional "get out of my bubble" thing where the BR would chase them for about a second to get them away. Now it's almost every time she sees one of them in his half of the tank. The other fish she leaves alone. She usually will flare at them and then peck/kiss them if they are facing her. If not she will chase them and sometimes peck at their tails. Now she doesn't seem to be doing any damage and the gouramis don't seem to be stressed but if it's going to continue to ramp up I feel like I need to do something now. I also will soon purchase a school of cory's. Aeneus to be exact. I know they will be down there with the ram even more than my gouramis so if she's already aggressive with them I'm not sure she will take to the cory's.

1) Is there a way to decrease the amount of aggression in the ram? There are plenty of things to break the line of site and hiding places for the gourami's to escape. Sometimes she just chases them out of her sight but sometimes she pursues as well. I've read online that getting them a mate will calm this down but this isn't an option for me. BR's are never kept in the areas around me. The one I bought was the only one i've seen in 3 months of looking. My LFS accidentally got her in with another shipment and I snatched her up. So if there is another way I'm all ears.

2)If I must rehome her (I want the gouramis more than the BR) are the other types of rams less aggressive? GBR/Golden Ram/Electric Blue? I know they are all the same fish just a different coloration but all of them are much more common in my area. I also know it's largely dependent on the type of fish. I could get another BR and they be much more peaceful but since another BR really isn't an option since they are so scarce here, do the other ram variations tend to be less aggressive or about the same?

2b) Does anyone else have any other ideas for another centerpiece -like fish? Perhaps another dwarf cichlid or something else I haven't considered? I have guppies, cherry barbs, 1 platy, albino aeneus cory's (soon),and thicklipped gouramis. It would need to be something that can be kept single or a pair that would take up about the same amount of space as the 1 ram

I'd prefer to keep her but not at the expense of my gouramis

Last edited: Jul 19, 2015
  2. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

You could try a Kribensis, they're very peaceful. I have two that just mind their own business or swim together but don't bother anybody. They're usually the ones being chased out from what I have seen.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. OP
    OP
    tyguy7760

I've considered them. I haven't ever actually seen one around here but then again I've never looked as well.

rehoming her is really the last resort. I'm hoping someone has a suggestion that can help me keep the aggression down but realize it's likely I'll have to get rid of her.

4. Dom90

Well Anders is gone for a week so I don't know what to advise you in the meantime.

5. OP
    OP
    tyguy7760

Well maybe someone else will. I may just be forced to rehome her anyways

6. OP
    OP
    tyguy7760

Can Kribs be kept by themselves? What I mean is are they ok being the only krib in the tank or do they need to be kept in pairs?

7. Dom90

They're ok with being by themselves or pairs, either way is fine.

8. OP
    OP
    tyguy7760

That's good to know.

I'm starting to see how limited I am with fish selection around these parts. I have a petsmart (really bad fish tanks), a petco (nice fish tanks but small selection), and a really nice LFS with lots of selection but a lot of their stock is dedicated to large pleco's and extra large fish for 150 gallons plus.

I have yet to see a krib there but will see if they have any next time I go. They keep a good selection of rams but not bolivians.

It gets aggravating when you are looking for a specific fish.

9. Dom90

Maybe you can get the LFS to special order for you? Most of the fish stores I have been to are good about this.

10. OP
    OP
    tyguy7760

Yeah I may have to ask them if they do.

Well I think I am going to have to rehome her. She's getting more and more territorial to the point she isn't allowing the gourami's in the bottom half of the tank.

It's a shame because I really wanted a BR but this one doesn't seem to be acclimating to the community setting...at least not with the gouramis.

May just try a different type of ram or see if the LFS will order in a krib.

11. Dom90

You did mention female so, Is there the slightest possibility that she is pregnant or laid eggs and is showing maternal aggression?

12. OP
    OP
    tyguy7760

I don't think so. Nothing around my tank that resembles BR eggs. She's also been by herself for over a month and was not housed with any other BR's at the fish store. And I'm not sure she is a female. I'm just guessing because she doesn't seem to have any of the stereotypical male characteristics but BR's are notoriously hard to sex.

13. Dom90

Ok then I'm ruling out the possibility of maternal aggression, it may just be her(?) personality then.

14. OP
    OP
    tyguy7760

Yeah I've seen online where some people say the BR's tend to be more aggressive than the GBR's and their variants. So I may have to try a GBR if my LFS won't order in a krib for me.

I see someone has them on ebay for 22 bucks shipping and all but that's a lot of money for a single fish and to risk it in the mail.

15. Dom90

Yea... that does seem a lot for a fish, the shipping is probably twice the cost of the fish itself because it has to be priority one-day shipping.

16. OP
    OP
    tyguy7760

Oh yeah. 7 bucks for the fish. 15 for the shipping.

17. Dom90

Well, if you decide to do it, always make sure they have a DoA (Dead on Arrival) guarantee to protect yourself.

18. OP
    OP
    tyguy7760

THere is just something about buying a fish before you see it that bothers me. I'm sure plenty of people do it but I want to check the little bugger out first. Especially at 22 bucks a pop

19. Dom90

I feel the same way, I dont really feel comfortable about buying fish online, no matter how rare it is.

20. OP
    OP
    tyguy7760

So I'm looking around online and am seeing that at least with german rams, when they are kept alone they can become a little nippy but if you get them a mate not so much? Anyone have any experience with that?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice