Bolivian, German Blue, Gold...?

Mikey Doodle

HI all, I'm a little confused today! I was hoping to get some Bolivian Rams eventually for my larger tank, but after visiting the store where I usually get my fishies from I saw that they only had Gold Rams, which I had previously looked at thinking they were Bolivians. Are the gold ones difficult to care for? And am I right in thinking that the gold is a captive-bred colour morph of the blue?

My BRAIN!! :-\

Anyhoo, I would really prefer Bolivians if I can get them as I think they look beautiful. Should I ask if they can get them for me? Or maybe try somewhere else? Oh, what to do what to do! lol.

Thanks in advance!

Jaysee

I don't believe the golds are any more or less difficult to keep than the the blues and electric blues.

If you want bolivians, hold out for bolivians!

harpua2002

Since you're new, I'd recommend Bolivians over German blues (or golds, they are color variants of the same species). I hope you don't take offense to that, I just want your first venture into cichlids to be fun rather than frustrating. I've been keeping fish for 7 years now and I can't keep GBRs for the life of me, even though our water is perfect for them (soft water, pH 6.5 out of tap). Apistogramma and Bolivian rams do very well for me though... go figure.

Mikey Doodle

Thanks Jaysee, I do believe I will hold out! lol

:shock: Harpua!!! What a thing to say!! lol, JK! Yeah, I think the way to go is with Bolivians. I had heard a lot of people say that they are easier to care for than the blue ones etc, so may have to go flutter my eyelashes and ask nicely! hehe

harpua2002

LOL!!!
I don't know what the availability of Apistogramma species is like where you live, but if you can get your hands on a pair you would probably like them. They are very similar to Bolivians in terms of size, care requirements, and temperament, and there are a lot of really colorful species.

Jaysee

harpua2002 said:
LOL!!!
I don't know what the availability of Apistogramma species is like where you live, but if you can get your hands on a pair you would probably like them. They are very similar to Bolivians in terms of size, care requirements, and temperament, and there are a lot of really colorful species.
I hear Apistogramma borelliI is a very nice fish

harpua2002

Jaysee said:
I hear Apistogramma borelliI is a very nice fish
Oh it is... unfortunately I can't ship to the UK! ;D

Mikey Doodle

Ooo, never heard of that one... Gooooogle! And yes, it is a shame you can't ship here but I'm sure there must be some way to get them close by!

platy ben

See if you have a Swallow aquatics branch near you, they are mainly in east anglia, actually, I think all of their shops are in east anglia. They have excellent variety of fish and they will order fish in for you

Jaysee

platy ben said:
See if you have a Swallow aquatics branch near you, they are mainly in east anglia, actually, I think all of their shops are in east anglia. They have excellent variety of fish and they will order fish in for you
Swallow aquatics? what a....weird name.

allibobs

I have 2 Bolivian rams with oh so different personality one super shy and if frightened by a movement outside the then jumps out of the water, and the other is bold as anything and will swim up to your hand and nudge at you.
Where about's in the UK are you from? I have seen them in a couple of different places

Mikey Doodle

lol, that is an odd name!

@ allibobs, I'm in Scarborough, North Yorkshire. There aren't really all that many places round here, but I dare say with a bit of snooping I'll soon find somewhere! I have a male betta (in a different tank! lol) who is a bit like that, he will swim up to the top and nudge/nibble my fingers!

Top Bottom