Bolivian, German Blue And Gold Ram, Male Or Female?

Over It

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have a Bolivian Ram that I am not sure if it's male or female. Can anybody tell which it is?

Also have 2 GBR's who I am almost positive are female, but I'd like some more opinions and 1 Gold Ram that I'm not sure on. I was leaning towards female, but now I just don't know.
c102abebc539cef94b0da92c4d9c104d.jpg
4e77dc8097e2fa182317faf1380d8b0a.jpg
eb893bd9f5a1b4e9a27b1c7f7b413cea.jpg
9dad4d5153fed326035e1b765fb4c9a2.jpg
e79bcefe07919988a6cc9576805a7a33.jpg
64b32d895dc646108a6d214fded8f4c3.jpg
8a8003942a72cc595f5a683661396659.jpg
192845c97348bd58fa5470581dde6eaf.jpg
ded88ce2451552164e95ea209b123a1d.jpg

OP
O

Over It

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
That would be amazing! I could potentially keep them all!

Blue Bea

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
The GBRs are female. The Gold could be female. I don't know anything about Bolivians so can't say.

Katie13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Blue Bea said:
The GBRs are female. The Gold could be female. I don't know anything about Bolivians so can't say.
Golds are incredibly hard to sex. I have one that's an obvious female. My other had pointed fins and slightly longer rays with the exclusion of her analfin. I had to go off the analfin and breeding tube.

OP
O

Over It

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
So do you think my Gold is a female and the Bolivian is a female as well? Just wanna make I'm understanding that correctly.

Katie13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Tempestt said:
So do you think my Gold is a female and the Bolivian is a female as well? Just wanna make I'm understanding that correctly.
That's correct. This is mine that I had a hard time sexing. I still go back and forth.

Attachments

OP
O

Over It

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
She's very pretty! She definitely looks like mine as well. I can't believe I lucked out with all females! I had no idea how to tell the difference in the Bolivians so I guess it was just meant to be!

Katie13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Tempestt said:
She's very pretty! She definitely looks like mine as well. I can't believe I lucked out with all females! I had no idea how to tell the difference in the Bolivians so I guess it was just meant to be!
I posted on my old thread from when I got my Gold. I'm beginning to think male again... It had a pinkish tiny, but that has completely went away. It did appear to have a female vent, but it's not visible today.

Blue Bea

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Seems just as hard as trying to sex an EBR. Those are hopeless. Lol

OP
O

Over It

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I guess so. I keep going back and forth on my Bolivian as well. Maybe I should have just stuck with the GBR's . At least they are easy to sex.

The Bolivian seems to be just fine with the GBR's, but is being a bit pushy with the Gold. Does that indicate anything one way or another?

MattS99

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Bolivians aren't temp. compatible with GBRS and golds. Bolivians are also just slightly more aggressive, and GBRs can get bullied pretty easily

OP
O

Over It

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I think I'm gonna take the Bolivian back. I like the other 3 a lot better. I just hope they are all females.
I've also noticed earlier today that my Bolivian will nip at the Corydoras if it wants what it thinks they have. I don't like that and I'm worried it could get worse later.

MattS99

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Bolivians can get pushy. GBRs and their other color morphs (Gold and electric blue) will get pushed around and bullied. My GBR runs from everything

OP
O

Over It

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
In that case I really should take the Bolivian back. It's not temp compatible with pretty much any of the fish in the tank and I don't want any aggression. It would make me so sad to never see my GBR's or the Gold cause they are scared of the Bolivian.
I think I'll try to trade it for another female GBR or a Gold if they have any. I can't get my money back, only store credit/trades. I know they have GBR's, but I don't remember if they have Golds.

I did not know they were not temp compatible or I wouldn't have gotten it. They had been recommended to me many times before so I figured they were good.

OP
O

Over It

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
29 gal and 4 including the Bolivian. I just got the 2 GBR's and Gold today. I got all three since I didn't want a male female pair or 2 males and I didn't know if my Bolivian was male or female and I couldn't sex the Gold. She looked like a female, but it's really hard to tell. I also wasn't 100% sure on the GBR's, but now I'm almost positive they are females.

MattS99

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Tempestt said:
29 gal and 4 including the Bolivian. I just got the 2 GBR's and Gold today. I got all three since I didn't want a male female pair or 2 males and I didn't know if my Bolivian was male or female and I couldn't sex the Gold. She looked like a female, but it's really hard to tell. I also wasn't 100% sure on the GBR's, but now I'm almost positive they are females.
Yeah, I'm going to go out on a limb and say two different types of dwarf cichlids in a 29 isn't the best idea. The GBRs and Gold is fine together because they're the same fish, just different colors.

OP
O

Over It

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Well hopefully I can find another female GBR or Gold Ram tomorrow to trade the Bolivian for. I really don't want any other fish and I don't need any supplies. That also gives me a back up if one of them turns out to be a male.

MattS99

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You know how to sex them, right? I

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online