Bolivan Rams + Sinking Pellets

BeardedGenz
Hello All,

I just picked up two Bolivan Rams on Tuesday, and I went to feed them for the first time Wednesday night. I dropped a few sinking pellets, but they seem totally uninterested in them and its now Thursday morning, the pellets remain uneaten. Can someone suggest a brand to me that they have tried, as I'm currently using the same pellets my cories go after, and how should I leave them in the tank before vacc'ing them out.

The Rams otherwise seem to have gotten used to their new home already and they are moving around the tank sifting sand, just not eating the pellets.

Thanks!

StinkyLoaf
I feed my cichlids Hikari Massivore Delite. Each pellet contains as much protein as 1.8 feeder goldfish. Try not to feed too much of these pellets to two rams, should you decide to use them, and if they can’t fit them in their mouths then try breaking them into slices.

Leeman75
I've fed mine Bug Bites Cichlid Granules and Omega One Color Mini Pellets. The Omega One pellets are more what they like. They've also eaten Aqueon Shrimp Pellets too

Betta'sAnonymous
Leeman75 said:
I've fed mine Bug Bites Cichlid Granules and Omega One Color Mini Pellets. The Omega One pellets are more what they like. They've also eaten Aqueon Shrimp Pellets too
I haven't found a fish yet that doesn't eat those Omega One Color mini-pellets. Bettas, platies, tetras, danios, peacock gudgeons and my plecos go pretty ape over those.

BeardedGenz
Leeman75 said:
So I bought the Omega minis, these things are tiny, how many would you suggest for a feeding?

Thanks again,

Pfrozen
Tropical brand makes an entire line of fish foods dedicated to specific types of fish.. most contain 45-50% protein with excellent ingredients. The fry food I use from Tropical is 60% protein

Leeman75
BeardedGenz said:
So I bought the Omega minis, these things are tiny, how many would you suggest for a feeding?

Thanks again,
I would say that it depends on what else you have in the tank.

If I were only feeding the Bolivians, I'd probably sprinkle a pinch in there so that each Ram can get a few. They don't need a ton. I think a lot of fish keepers (myself included) overfeed.

My tank with my Ram has a ton of big eaters in it that gulp up everything at the top and mid levels. I have to be intentional with getting things to the bottom for the Ram and Cories...and that can lead to massive overfeeding if I don't have a plan for it.

I will typically feed larger pellets to the crazy eaters first and then while they are eating, send down the Omega food for the others. I may also put different foods on different sides of the tank. There are strategies that helps me to get the right food to the right fish. As Betta'sAnonymous said, there isn't a fish in my tank that won't gobble up those mini pellets. If I start with that food alone, I will have to put a ton of it in for it to get to the bottom dwellers.

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom