Boiling Water Instead Of Prime?

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hello I am running out of my prime bottle, and I was wondering whether boiling water would be an option instead of using prime?
One of my friends in my area doesn't use prime, nor does he boil the water, just lets it sit for a day or two before putting it in the tank and he says he did not have an issue in two years by doing so.

Im therefore wondering whether prime is a necessity. It is not a question of money, just that I feel I dont fully understand all the liquids Im putting in and I dont know if Im not doing more harm mixing all kind of stuff in the tank. I use at the moment prime with water change, liquid fertilizer after water change and I put in bit of liquid bacteria a day after water change and I drip in Liquifry No1 which should be infusoria for fry. It feels to me like a lot of stuff going in the water.
The water parameters are where they should be.

smee82

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It depends on whats om your tap water if you can leave it out for a few days but i wouldnt boil it

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
smee82 said:
It depends on whats om your tap water if you can leave it out for a few days but i wouldnt boil it
Thank you for your reply. I just read that boiling the water would eliminate possible chlorine. I tried to look up the water parameters for my local area, but I cant get to it. But well, I think I will try doing same as my friend does without the prime, he lives close by and his tanks are cycled and does not seem to be influenced by possible chlorine. So if I have same water the prime might need to be necessary.

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
smee82 said:
Using prime is probably safer though but if you where to leave buckets out id leave them out for 72hrs with an airstone
I am already leaving all my water to age for 24h in a bucket before I use prime and add it in the tank. So I will try aging it longer with the bubbles. Its a good idea! Thank you

scarface

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
No need to boil, just let it age for at least 24 hrs. minimum, and it should be safe. I used to do it this way all the time for years. This is only if your tap has chlorine, not chloramine. Chloramine doesn't evaporate, so water conditioner would then be needed.

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
scarface said:
No need to boil, just let it age for at least 24 hrs. minimum, and it should be safe. I used to do it this way all the time for years. This is only if your tap has chlorine, not chloramine. Chloramine doesn't evaporate, so water conditioner would then be needed.
Wonderful Thank you!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom