Boiling Malaysian Driftwood

JimTemp

Reaction score
Today I bought a piece of Malaysian driftwood for my Bristlenose Plecko. Had 2 a few weeks, one died, can't get it or my SterbaI Corys to eat. Their not interested in the wafers.
Anyway, I was advised to boil the driftwood for a few hours before putting it in the tank. I'm interested in comments on anyone's experience with curing it? Also, how was the pot afterwards? Hopefully not ruined! Thanks.

CanadianFishFan

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
When I boil my stuff I boil water first and then pour it into another container deep enough to bury the object in.... My mom would never let me boil fish stuff in a cooking pot, lol.

glenCOCO

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
First got permission from my fiancé to use her pots then found one that would fit the entire piece or at least most of it. Fill it up and boil the piece for however long you need too. Be sure to top off when you need to. You can replace the water when it gets too dark just to see how much tannins are left. Most I’ve boiled was around 5 hours and the pot was fine

OP
J

JimTemp

Reaction score
Yeah, I made sure to run it by my wife first. I had a small piece of the Malaysian driftwood. So I only needed to boil it for a couple of hours, changing the water a few times until it was boiling clear. Thanks for responding!

New Threads