Boiling Driftwood

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Sharyn, Apr 16, 2017.

1. Sharyn

Sharyn Valued Member Member

I have submerged a piece of driftwood i got for a aquarium shop in water for about a week now and the tarnish colour is still coming out, it is boiling now for the last 45mins and it still does not want to sink. It's a small piece to put in my 25 litre tank, am I doing it the right way or should I be doing it a different way.

2. APierce

APierce Well Known Member Member

I think you are doing it the right way, some wood is just more stubborn than other wood. I boiled a piece for about 1 1/2 hours the other day and had it soaking in a bucket for about a week as well and it still isn't sinking. Figured i'd just let it soak in water some more and then boil it again.

3. Tiny_Tanganyikans

Tiny_Tanganyikans Well Known Member Member

It depends on the wood. I boil grapewood for 6 hours by topping off the boiling pot constantly. I then leech it for another couple days in a bucket before it will even go in my aquarium. While other woods like alder for example I only boil for an hour but leech for a week.

Harder more dense wood may take longer to be fully waterlogged to sink.

Boiling speeds up the leeching and water logging.

Also lots of woods sold in aquarium stores are just sand blasted wood from someone's backyard. It may not be fully seasoned and the core can still be "fresh". The best way to check with stubborn floating wood is to drill out a core and check. Knowing what type of wood it is helps also, some is just naturally buoyant and may require a suction cup or partial burying to stay sunk.

4. Naiomi

Naiomi New Member Member

Agree with previous replies. I boiled mine about 2 hours and soaked it for couple days and it sinked. Some might need longer boil and soaking time. Mine is about 8 by 8 inches. Good luck!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice