Boiling B.b. Algae Off Driftwood

Aricafeesh

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I have a large piece of driftwood that I’ve had in my 30 galling for a couple of years and it has grown black beard algae, battled snail infestation, and even some green spot algae. I’m wanting to add it to my new 55 gallon, but want to make sure those things won’t be transferred along with it. I’m wondering how long to boil it, or if that will even solve my problem?

goldface

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
You can try a peroxide solution. I've heard about it, but never done it myself. You should look it up.

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yes peroxide works. Buy a 32oz bottle and soak the driftwood. Keep rolling it. Stay on a side for around 5 min. Keep doing it till you covered the whole peice.

OP
Aricafeesh

Aricafeesh

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
86 ssinit said:
Yes peroxide works. Buy a 32oz bottle and soak the driftwood. Keep rolling it. Stay on a side for around 5 min. Keep doing it till you covered the whole peice.
Okay, then do I need to try and clean it really well to get rid of he peroxide before putting it into the tank?

OP
Aricafeesh

Aricafeesh

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
86 ssinit said:
I do rinse it off. Tank water or tap water doesn’t matter.
You jus use straight peroxide though? Not a mix of anything?

Ed1957

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I would boil it to make sure you don't have any snails or eggs. I am battling snails and it is the biggest pain. I will not go into how I am trying to get rid of them.

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Straight peroxide to kill bba. I don’t know about snails though.

KO_

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Straight peroxide, it'll start to bubble and fizz and you will be filled with satisfaction. You can rinse it after or not, doesn't matter the peroxide breaks down in the water rather quickly. The BBA will then turn bright pink and eventually die. I recently just did it and it works. If I was you, out of fear of spreading the BBA to another tank I would do the peroxide treatment followed by boiling.

The only thing worse than a tank with BBA is two tanks.

New Threads