Boiling Ammonia

  • Thread starter

SirFishington

New Member
Messages
9
Reaction score
4
Points
3
any thoughts on boiling out the ammonia and chlorine from the water? Is there any problem with this?
I really am struggling on getting the ammonia out of the water again.
 

Bumblebees

Valued Member
Messages
107
Reaction score
38
Points
63
Experience
Just started
SirFishington said:
any thoughts on boiling out the ammonia and chlorine from the water? Is there any problem with this?
I really am struggling on getting the ammonia out of the water again.
Does your tap water have ammonia in it? Why not just do a series of water changes to get rid of the ammonia?
 

Crafty Cichlid

Well Known Member
Messages
520
Reaction score
211
Points
78
Experience
More than 10 years
You're testing it before putting it in the tank, right?

Also I'm not sure Pixar makes a water conditioner. Try Prime; It removes ammonia.
 

Kathryn Crook

Well Known Member
Messages
1,779
Reaction score
1,181
Points
208
Experience
3 years
What is step 2?
 

Bumblebees

Valued Member
Messages
107
Reaction score
38
Points
63
Experience
Just started
A quick Google search tells me that you cannot boil out ammonia...
Also, Water Conditioner usually only binds the ammonia, does not get rid of it... Therefore you are making your ammonia "safe" for 24 hours or so...

I think you'll have to wait for an expert to chime in on this one....
any chance you could use bottled water?.

Crafty Cichlid said:
You're testing it before putting it in the tank, right?

Also I'm not sure Pixar makes a water conditioner. Try Prime; It removes ammonia.
Prime does not remove ammonia, only Binds it and turns it into a less toxic form for about 24 hours.
 

Rainbows and Fishes

Valued Member
Messages
253
Reaction score
117
Points
63
Experience
2 years
Bottled water for an entire aquarium??
 
  • Thread starter

SirFishington

New Member
Messages
9
Reaction score
4
Points
3
I was just doing some research and perhaps I should get some sort of reverse osmosis system
 

Bumblebees

Valued Member
Messages
107
Reaction score
38
Points
63
Experience
Just started
Rainbows and Fishes said:
Bottled water for an entire aquarium??
Our grocery stores have those water machines, you can use 5-gallon jugs and fill them up...
What about rain water?
 
  • Thread starter

SirFishington

New Member
Messages
9
Reaction score
4
Points
3
yah it probably won’t rain again until april
 

bgclarke

Well Known Member
Messages
1,903
Reaction score
1,162
Points
198
Experience
1 year
SirFishington said:
Yah the tap water has it.

Been using this water conditioner. I feel like it may be flawed somehow. Otherwise I’m flawed haha
That water conditioner is fine.

I use it myself, and also the name brand version of it.
 

Jellibeen

Well Known Member
Messages
1,467
Reaction score
953
Points
128
Experience
5 to 10 years
You could try using Zeolite crystals to remove the ammonia.

As far as i understand, it does actually remove the ammonia. Soaks it up like a sponge. It’s not recommended for long-term aquarium use because it doesn’t give beneficial bacteria much of a chance to grow. It seems like it would be great for you to condition your water with.

Once it gets “full,” you can recharge it by soaking it in salt water. This releases the ammonia so you can use it all over again.

There are other companies that make it. I got some from Petco. Here’s a link to Seachem’s brand:

Seachem - Zeolite
 

Bumblebees

Valued Member
Messages
107
Reaction score
38
Points
63
Experience
Just started
Jellibeen said:
You could try using Zeolite crystals to remove the ammonia.

As far as i understand, it does actually remove the ammonia. Soaks it up like a sponge. It’s not recommended for long-term aquarium use because it doesn’t give beneficial bacteria much of a chance to grow. It seems like it would be great for you to condition your water with.

Once it gets “full,” you can recharge it by soaking it in salt water. This releases the ammonia so you can use it all over again.

There are other companies that make it. I got some from Petco. Here’s a link to Seachem’s brand:

Seachem - Zeolite
Im super interested in learning about this. Any handy places you can point me, besides google? I am from the west coast of USA, and i have JARS full of natural zeolite that i have collected off our beaches!
 

Jellibeen

Well Known Member
Messages
1,467
Reaction score
953
Points
128
Experience
5 to 10 years
Kim Beesley said:
Im super interested in learning about this. Any handy places you can point me, besides google? I am from the west coast of USA, and i have JARS full of natural zeolite that i have collected off our beaches!
Unfortunately i don’t have any sources besides what i have gotten off of google.

The Seachem link has some good info.
 

AvalancheDave

Well Known Member
Messages
1,727
Reaction score
944
Points
148
Experience
More than 10 years
Buy bulk clinoptilotite off of eBay or Amazon. It'll be much more cost effective than whatever Seachem is selling.
 

Thunder_o_b

Fishlore VIP
Messages
9,635
Reaction score
6,158
Points
658
Experience
More than 10 years

Jellibeen

Well Known Member
Messages
1,467
Reaction score
953
Points
128
Experience
5 to 10 years
The stuff i brought from Petco was pretty cheap. Plus, you can easily recharge it so you don’t need to keep buying more.
 

Mr. Kgnao

Valued Member
Messages
468
Reaction score
336
Points
98
I'd just use Prime to detoxify the ammonia and rely on beneficial bacteria to process it before it "unbinds" or whatever the proper technical term would be. if the level out of the tap was ridiculously high, I might fill a plastic tub, add a sponge filter and a bunch of plants, then pull water out of that as I needed it.
 
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!





Top Bottom