Boiled Water For Water Changes

Manytanks

Valued Member
Reaction score
Can i use boiling water mixed with regular tap water and water conditioner when doing water changes as one of the places i do tank cleaning at has no hot water and their tap water averages about 5°c and accidentally killed a few of the customers fish due to temperature shock (im used to big aquaruims where it only drops about a degree).
I have tried google but cant find a straight answer.
Thanks in advance

Ethan30

Valued Member
Reaction score
I have used both but I would recommend making sure temp is good and wait a bit to make sure it’s mixed mabye stir with fish net. But I have not done the stirring with net and waiting myself just guess there.
Can i use boiling water mixed with regular tap water and water conditioner when doing water changes as one of the places i do tank cleaning at has no hot water and their tap water averages about 5°c and accidentally killed a few of the customers fish due to temperature shock (im used to big aquaruims where it only drops about a degree).
I have tried google but cant find a straight answer.
Thanks in advance

GlennO

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yes no problem mixing boiling water with cold tap water. It's winter here and my tap water is very cold at the moment. I find that mixing one jug (about 750ml) of boiling water into a 12 litre bucket makes it about 26C which is perfect.

Ethan30

Valued Member
Reaction score
Yes no problem mixing boiling water with cold tap water. It's winter here and my tap water is very cold at the moment. I find that mixing one jug (about 750ml) of boiling water into a 12 litre bucket makes it about 26C which is perfect.
Ok, let me know how it goes.

Also I am semi new to fish keeping so I might not be accurate.

GlennO

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Also I am semi new to fish keeping so I might not be accurate.
You were accurate. Add boiling water to bucket, mix, check temp, add dechlorinator.

I only do this for my smaller tanks. I fill my larger tank direct from the tap but the OP does not have this option.

Manytanks

Valued Member
Reaction score
Thank you.
On the 100+ other tanks i clean on a weekly basis i dont have this problem i just either use cold water or hot and cold from the tap but doing an 8litre water change on an 11litre tank with freezing water is something i really want to avoid

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom