Boiled Driftwood Turned Black :/

Discussion in 'Driftwood' started by WacklieCacklie, Apr 11, 2018.

1. WacklieCacklie

WacklieCacklie Valued Member Member

It's manzanita wood and it was originally a dark red color. After boiling it turned black. Is this normal? Does anyone know why it turned black or if it's still safe to use? I've got a lot of extra so if I have to toss it it's not a big deal.
    I had it in the aquarium for a few weeks before boiling it if that makes a difference.

I added a picture of the boiled driftwood and the extra nonboiled wood to show the difference in color.

Attached Files:

2. McGoo

McGoo Valued Member Member

I could be wrong, but I think the issue is that the red you actually see is the bark of the wood. If that's the case, it has to be removed to expose the bare wood underneath. Also, if that is bark, there's a good chance that the wood hasn't dried out enough, and there may be some resins remaining in the wood itself. Where did you get the wood?

3. -Mak-

-Mak- Well Known Member Member

In my experience wood does get quite a bit darker after being saturated.

4. OP
    OP
    WacklieCacklie

I got it off of Amazon here https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00C...AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=Manzanita

Others left reviews with it in their aquarium so I figured it would be fine. Like I said I has it in the aquarium quite a while before boiling without any issue. It's also very thin, the widest part is about an inch in diameter. So I don't think it not being completely dried out is something to worry about.

But I think you're right about the red of it being bark. A bit of it did peel off when I was trying to get it fully submersed while it was boiling.

5. OP
    OP
    WacklieCacklie

True, but it was fully saturated for a few weeks before boiling it :/

6. 1

123 Valued Member Member

I think I would not use the darkened black wood. If it works in the aquarium without effecting the water quality and it did not show signs of bacteria or parasites in the aquarium until now, why trying to boil it. I mean, boiling something is a chemical reaction after all. And since it even changed visually, I would be afraid of the new produced composition of the wood.

7. -Mak-

-Mak- Well Known Member Member

I think it looks fine to be honest

8. OP
    OP
    WacklieCacklie

I boiled it because it was growing an insane amount of fungus that was not going away. I boiled my other piece of driftwood with no issues. If it is burnt then it shouldn't harm anything. Charcoal is used in aquariums all the time. I think I'll try it and see if I changes the chemistry any more than it did before. Then add some feeders to see how they fair. I don't see why just boiling in water would cause any harm though.

9. Samuel Velez

Samuel Velez New Member Member

i think the driftwood you had wasn't or hasn't gone through the proper process. driftwoods shouldn't be bendable or malleable so to speak, from the looks of your wood its like it was freshly picked or cut from a source. to my understanding, driftwoods is like what's left of a branch of a tree or tree itself, that got washed away for has been cut off from its source and has been weathered and you can't easily bend it(except for tiny pieces that size of a toothpick) or what not.

10. Professor Catfish

Professor Catfish New Member Member

IMO that piece still looks great. I recently went through a new driftwood piece being consumed by fungus. I only had to take it out to scrub it and it’s fine now (the fungus was dropping off and coating my filter, god that smell).
    Maybe just get a new piece man, driftwood generally shouldn’t cause this much grief

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice