Boil Water Advisory

Discussion in 'Aquarium Water' started by Shea Loner, Aug 2, 2017.

  1. Shea LonerValued MemberMember

    How do you guys handle these?

    My town is rather prone to them. This last one went on for 6 days. Normally not a problem even that length of time but I had a lot of evap the past week and had skipped the previous WC.
    Add on that it will be another day or 2 before the chlorine levels drop low enough that you cant smell it from the tap and its just. :banghead::banghead:

  2. Bizarro252Well Known MemberMember

    I used to have these in my old town, thank goodness they have not had one here, so annoying.

    However, what about taking a large barrel/container/trashcan and adding bleach, then aerate for 24 hours. Smell it after 24 hours and for extra safety dose it with Prime or something.

    It also depends on what the order is for, apparently its for bacteria since you cant boil out toxins/heavy metals - I am not sure if the same stuff they are worried about you ingesting would harm fish, but probably better to not expose them.

  3. Shea LonerValued MemberMember

    It was a high choliform count this time. But they have frequent water main and sewage main breaks.
    I Might do the barrel trick next time.

  4. California L33Well Known MemberMember

    I've read that one drop of bleach per gallon will kill most anything nasty. How much aeration and Prime is needed to remove it, I don't know.
  5. Bizarro252Well Known MemberMember

    Bleach would dissipate pretty quickly with air and heat. :) I would still use prime to be safe, and smell. Heck maybe even taste it lol
  6. Shea LonerValued MemberMember

    Heres the dilemma now. If it was 1 drop per gallon, what is it now that bleach is "concentrated". I can't find the normal stuff now that isin't scented.

    Sorry just a pet peeve of mine.
  7. California L33Well Known MemberMember

    Here's a chart that shows concentrations for drinking water. Standard 5.25% bleach is recommended at 8 drops per gallon, and 'concentrated' bleach, from 7-10% is 4 drops per gallon.


    This is much higher than I read, but I guess it's a different 'expert' opining. Since you're removing it anyway, it shouldn't be much of a problem. Keep in mind that the more concentrated the bleach the faster it degrades, which is why it's hard to get really concentrated bleach. Just make sure you're getting bleach with no added ingredients- no 'splashless' or scented bleach, just good old sodium hypochlorite. If it's hard to find look for non-name brand bleaches. If you still can't find it go to your pool supply store and get liquid chlorine, which is, as you've probably guessed, is also good old sodium hypochlorite.

    Keep in mind you've got to get rid of it all before you put fish in that water. :) I'd still follow the advice of @Bizarro252 and aerate for 24 hours, then smell and taste, and after that it might be the time to read the Prime label and see that you can use it at 5X normal doses in emergencies just to be sure.
  8. OnTheFlyWell Known MemberMember

    I have wondered myself but I suspect my tank water has far more bacteria in it. Somebody should drink a shot of tank water and let us know how they feel the next day. :) On a serious note a few drops of bleach and it will mostly dissipate overnight whether you aerate it or not. A dose of dechlor before use and I can't imagine you wouldn't be fine.
  9. California L33Well Known MemberMember

    I can't count the number of times I've gotten a mouth full of water starting a siphon to do water changes. The good news is that I can now just spit in a tank to get the nitrogen cycle started :eek:
  10. OnTheFlyWell Known MemberMember

    Same here. Everytime it happens I have flashbacks to a military mission in Central America where I experienced dysentary long ago. I wouldn't wish that on anyone and I admit I go rinse my mouth out when I get some siphon backwash lol.
  11. Bizarro252Well Known MemberMember

    You guys need to buy a python :p
  12. California L33Well Known MemberMember

    I think I read somewhere that pythons will eat fish if they're hungry enough. :p Seriously, my only running tank right now is a 3 gallon Betta tank less than a foot from a sink. Using a python there might be overkill.
  13. Bizarro252Well Known MemberMember

    OK OK you get a pass :)

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice