Boesmani Rainbows m/f ratio

Arrow1oo

Reaction score
Looking to buy 6 boesmanI rainbows for my 55 gallon , 4ft tank

I know male to female ratio matters, I was hoping I'd be able to get away with 3 males and 3 females. I've looked it up online but it's more common to see bad experiences than good experiences online so I'm here to see if it's possible.

I know they can get a little chasey with females, but I did plan to have some tall growing jungle val to break sight lines if necessary.

Also, if I were to buy them from a LFS (not PetSmart/Petco) would I get drabby colors? I want good looking ones but don't want to break my wallet lol

OP
Arrow1oo

Arrow1oo

Reaction score
johnbetta said:
I would recommend 4 females to 2 males for best breeding
If I didn't want to breed, would 3/3 be fine aggression wise

johnbetta

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
yes it would be fine but rember some males are more aggressive than others u will have to watch out for that its to do with there genetic

OP
Arrow1oo

Arrow1oo

Reaction score
johnbetta said:
yes it would be fine but rember some males are more aggressive than others u will have to watch out for that its to do with there genetic
Will do, worse come to worse I'll add more females

GlennO

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My 6 are a 3:3 ratio with no issues. As for quality, it depends where your stores source them from. You are more likely to get better quality from experienced private breeders.

OP
Arrow1oo

Arrow1oo

Reaction score
GlennO said:
My 6 are a 3:3 ratio with no issues. As for quality, it depends where your stores source them from. You are more likely to get better quality from experienced private breeders.
Thanks! Love hearing someone else is doing what I want to do lol. And I'll lol into the breeders my LFS gets them from

Noroomforshoe

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have always bought rainbow fish from private fish stores. Even the time I went 2 hours away to the Best petstore, that had like 8 kinds of rainbow fish species, You have to look up what the adult fish will look like, They all color up with age, with higher quality food, etc.

New Threads