Boesemani Rainbowfish White Spots

Aeternus

Tank
What is the water volume of the tank? 55g
How long has the tank been running? 5 years
Does it have a filter? Cascade 1500 Canister
Does it have a heater? No, ambient room temperature is 72F
What is the water temperature? 72F
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.) (1) Yellow Bristlenose Pleco, (3) Boesemani Rainbowfish (6) Australian Rainbowfish (7) Redeye Tetras (3) Ruby Tetras. No live plants.

Maintenance

How often do you change the water? Weekly
How much of the water do you change? Around 20-30%
What do you use to treat your water? API Aquarium Salt. The house has well water so no de-chlorinator is used since the tap tests for 0 chlorine anyway.
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? Substrate

*Parameters - Very Important

Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? Yes it's been established for 5 years except I started using Purigen recently.
What do you use to test the water? API Freshwater Master Test Kit
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.
Ammonia: 0.2 ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 30 ppm
pH: 8.0

Feeding

How often do you feed your fish? Twice a day
How much do you feed your fish? Medium pinch, they eat it all within 45 seconds
What brand of food do you feed your fish? Tetra TetraPro tropical crisps (for 3 years) and Omega One Freeze-Dried Blood Worms (for 2 weeks)
Do you feed frozen? No
Do you feed freeze-dried foods? As of 2 weeks ago, a small pinch of freeze-dried bloodworms every other day

Illness & Symptoms

How long have you had this fish? 3 years
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? 1 week ago
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? It almost looks like my oldest Boesemani Rainbowfish's scales are turning white
Have you started any treatment for the illness? No
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? No, he's been in perfect health for 3 years
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? He seemed stressed from all the new tankmates I added, and he started showing the "white scales"

Explain your emergency situation in detail.

(Please give a clear explanation of what is going on, include details from the beginning of the illness leading up to now)
I've had this Boesemani Rainbowfish for 3 years and he's only lived with 1 Yellow Bristlenost Pleco and 3 Ruby Tetras. On November 13th, I added 7 redeye tetras, 2 more juvenile Boesemani, and 6 Australian Rainbowfish. My 3-year-old Boesemani started acting a bit funny, sort of a bit overwhelmed at what was going on but otherwise healthy. As of 2 or 3 days ago, he started developing a white "flaky" looking spot on top of his head, which now seems to have spread to his sides, one side in particular as seen in the photo attached. Primary areas of concern are the top of his head, under his fin, middle section where orange and blue meet, and his tail. His behavior seems otherwise normal and he's eating, but I have no clue what this is; it doesn't look like ich. One of the juvenile Boesemani has started showing similar symptoms on his scales but every other fish in the tank looks perfectly fine. Thanks for any advice you may have.

PurityNWhiteRoses

To me, that looks fungal or bacterial. I'd get some Mircrob-Lift Artemis and treat that a soon as possible. The quicker you treat it, the higher the survival rate. I know this from personal experience, then again, fish disease isn't my greatest forte. Can one of the Gurus fact-check me on this? Thanks, guys. Best of luck to you!

Aeternus

So I noticed that one of my Ruby tetras 100% had an ich infection and the tell-tale white dots started appearing on the Boesemani above as well so I got API Super Ick Cure (the only medication I ended up using) and the tank's looking amazing. The big guy above is almost completely back to normal and the ich disappeared from the rest of the fish. Tomorrow I have to do the 25% water change that the instructions mention since I've completed both doses with the tank at 86F but I think this one's solved. No casualties, everyone handled the medication nicely. I guess I learned my lesson about not quarantining and pouring the bag of store water into the tank after they acclimate heh.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
sailesh10115
Replies
Views
Ouse
Replies
Views
pagoda
Replies
Views