Boesemani Rainbow

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by philip884551, Jan 6, 2019.

1. philip884551 Valued Member Member

I got 4 boesemani rainbow fish 1 male 3 female few months ago everything was great but my male has started to go really dark blue under his chin in the mornings when I turn the lights on and feed them and all he does he Chase the females about for like 3 hrs then his colour lighting up under his chin and he calmed down he's still Chase them but not as bad is this normal behaviour? First pick is my male other 3 is my females

Attached Files:

2. Seasoldier Well Known Member Member

When their colour becomes more vivid it usually means they're in breeding condition & this is borne out by the chasing of the females, they are egg scatterers & tend not to eat their own young like some fish so depending on what you have in the tank with them you might have some fry appearing soon.

3. philip884551 Valued Member Member

Got 2 angelfish and 2 bala sharks with them so be unlikely any will survive

4. Seasoldier Well Known Member Member

Oh, yep with those sharing the tank doubt you'll see any survivors unless you have some really good hiding places.

5. philip884551 Valued Member Member

Nah i put unwated guppy fry in that tank and their dont last an hour I've just started planting this tank so the plants are still pretty small at the moment I could move them to my 20g for breedinh but to be honest my other tanks are full of livebearers so I'm pretty much stocked up at the moment with them and their fry

6. Seasoldier Well Known Member Member

That's a shame, I'd love for my Bosemani to breed but out of all my fish I've only had luck with Rosy Barbs up to now.

7. philip884551 Valued Member Member

Ive had molly guppy and platy fry and my bristlenose pleco pair has had 3 batches of eggs used to give my baby fish away to my local fish shop but they have a new policy that they not allowed to take fish anymore so I've split my bristlenose plecos up and my livebearers I just keep one maybe 2 fry out of each batch and the rest I feed to my angelfish bala sharks and my German blue rams I feel tight doing that but if I don't I'll end up with hundreds of fish

8. Redshark1 Fishlore VIP Member

The behaviour you describe is normal in my experience.

I kept and bred these fish for many years because I was able to obtain fry of a large strain.

Fry would appear in my six foot tank or eggs could be collected on mops. They were exceptionally slow growing but on the other hand were very hardy and virtually all survived rearing so it was easy to obtain 100 fry per batch.

Interestingly my fish were much larger than other people's but other keepers on here do not seem to keep them in the correct sized tanks.

Now I prefer less vigorous fish. Congo Tetras now do the job of dither fish for my Clown Loaches. These are far easier on each other. Arnold's Red-eyed Tetra is my favourite large dither fish.

9. philip884551 Valued Member Member

Yeah I didn't realise how active and crazy boesemani rainbows are they act like my danios in they behaviour very entertaining fish

10. Seasoldier Well Known Member Member

Know what you mean, one of my first mistakes new to the hobby was to put a mixed group of guppies into my 4 foot tank, within months I was overrun & had so many I couldn't give them away, had to get another tank & separate out the males & females, took a long time to sort that one out.

11. philip884551 Valued Member Member

Yeah when I got them I knew I would end up having loads of fry which I didn't mind I used to enjoy raising them then pass them on to the pet shop been doing it for 2 yrs but their won't take them anymore so I just keep a couple of the best colours and feed rest to the main tank suppose it's great protein for my other fish