boesemani rainbow fish aggression

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by PittsburghSarah, Apr 21, 2012.

1. P

PittsburghSarah Valued Member Member

I have one male and one female boesemani rainbow fish. I have had them for about 3 months now, they have been peaceful untill about a month ago. They have been chasing all my tetras into hiding except for the longfin serpae tetras, They have nipped up the fins of my longfin Danios pretty badly. My tank is fully stocked and i have no where to put the rainbow fish what should i do to make them not aggressive if at all possible?

2. pirahnah3

pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

that is strange, mine don't seem to have a problem with any other fish, do you notice this behavior at any particular time?

I also wonder if they are not trying to mate and defending the territory, you might be able to solve that with some tall plants in the area to give it some shelter.

3. OP
    OP
    P

yeah every where i searched online it said that they were great peacful aquarium fish i found it strange myself. And thanks i will try to get some more plants in the tank

4. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

They are, when they are kept in an appropriate school. That's the problem. Well, that and the 22 gallon tank they are in. I don't enjoy being the bearer of bad news, but I do it nonetheless. The best thing to do is to give them up - it's only going to get worse.

5. L

Ladayen Valued Member Member

yes Boesmans are very active fish like to be in large schools of at least 8 and should be in a 4' long tank.

6. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

It is my opinion that adults need a 6 foot tank, but i recognize that I'm in the minority there. I started mine in a 90, which they outgrew and now reside in the 125. They are large, active fish and are FAST. A fish like that ought to be able to stretch it's legs, so to speak, and once they were grown that was just wasn't happening in the 90.

Years ago I tried to keep one in a 20 gallon with dwarf neon rainbows and it was very aggressive - I exchanged it for another dwarf neon rainbow.

7. OP
    OP
    P

which really sucks they add such color to my aquarium! but i want them to be healthy and happy :) now the hard part finding a new home for them :/

8. pirahnah3

pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

If you want the color I would really add a threadfin rainbow to the tank as they stay small and are VERY colorful.

9. OP
    OP
    P

cool thanks i will have to look in to that! :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice