Boesemani minimum tank size

Gamer
What would be the minimum tank size to keep 6 boesemanI rainbows and a few other fish in?

Firecracker
What are the "few other fish"?

Gamer
Maybe a school of rasboras and some bottomdwellers like 4 yoyo loaches or 4 angelicus loaches. Eventually, a pleco if needed. Nothing more.

Dino
55 gallons.

Gamer
I don't want to get another 55 gal. So I'm getting a 125 gallon. Hopefully that's enough room for a school of boesemanI rainbows, neon rainbows, some ottos, a SAE and some others.

capekate
HI Gamer,
good call on getting the larger tank, tho a 55 gallon would be fine for those rainbows. I saw an adult boeseman at the fish store yesterday and I could not believe just how large the adults get! It had to be at least 4 inches in length and big around. wow.. it sure was a beauty! Also had Australian rainbow that was as large. These are wonderful fish.. and I love them as well.
Good luck with your new tank set up! ;D

susitna-flower
I TOTALLY agree.....why get another 55 when a 125 will do!

You will love the rainbows....just be sure not to have ANY obstacles in the tank that can injure them....their skin seems to be easily ripped. I have had this happen a couple of times.. all I had in the tank was drift wood. Don't use artificial plastic plants, and if you have any rocks or wood choose only smooth pieces.

Shawnie
MTS for me! id love a 125...go for it !!

Gamer
Thanks for the tips.

Yeah I am planning and budgeting for a 125 since I am just about finished upgrading my current tanks. I plan to have it heavily planted with hygro, swords, crypts, giant hairgrass, wisteria, sprite and microsword and some floating stuff maybe duckweed, frogbit and/or parrot feathers (even though this stuff is commonly used in ponds and not tanks). No plastic plants and as for driftwood or rocks, I'll be sure to leave out the sharper stuff. Aside from the plants I only "may" add one large piece of driftwood and a large tree stump. I will be running two Rena FilStar XP3's and two Marineland Powerheads. I'll be using 4x96w AHSupply lighting kit. As for the substrate...I was going to use Eco-Complete until I came across aquariumplant.com's freshwater planted substrate which is much cheaper. As for Co2, I'm not sure yet but I have my eye on this system by Red Sea called the "CO2 Pro System Deluxe" (the one that runs with a paintball cylinder; not the standard).

susitna-flower
I agree with you that BoesemanI Rainbows are lovely....there are some others that as long as you are taking your time, you might want to investigate. I have had ParkinsonI Rainbows also, and the Indian Reds, although they are not as lovely as the other two. BUT a school of CONGO Tetras would be lovely. They are a larger fish like the Boesemanis, but are colorful, silvery, long finned, and hardier than the others.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
IDKwhattodo
Replies
Views
SeanyBaggs123
Replies
Views
TexasDomer
Replies
Views