Bn Pleco Or Pitbull Pleco?

Discussion in 'Pleco - Plecostomus' started by XenoMarc, Apr 17, 2017.

1. XenoMarc

XenoMarcValued MemberMember

Hello.
    I am currently cycling a 240l fish tank with 9 neon tetras (this is my tank:   ) and after cycling, I would like to get an algae eater.
    I am considering buying either a BN pleco or some pitbull plecos but I am quite unsure.
    Which one would you rather get and why?
    Thanks! :)

Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
  2. KinsKicks

KinsKicksFishlore VIPMember

Go for the BN. Bulldogs are great, but they need a little more specialized care than you may or may not be willing to provide

3. OP
    OP
    XenoMarc

Thanks for the reply :)
    May I ask what the special care is?

4. KinsKicks

Sure! (There are some exceptions, but I personally don't recommend deviating from their normal).
    •coolish water 68-73F (tetras need something warmer)
    •A lot of water movement, agitating the water surface, to get oxygen levels near to their needs (as lower temperatures hold less oxygen) (a minimum of 7-8x water turnover). This is sort of the "breaking point" for some species, the current may be too fast for some.

5. OP
    OP
    XenoMarc

Thanks for the info :)

6. CarrieFisher

CarrieFisherWell Known MemberMember

Just curious, I know nothing of the other type of Pleco mentioned, but are they "pit bull" plecos or "bulldog" plecos?

To the OP, mannnnny of us (myself included) have BNPs, in happy to answer any questions you may have about those (based on my experience)

7. TwoHedWlf

TwoHedWlfWell Known MemberMember

Other way around, colder water holds more oxygen and all other dissolved gasses, warmer water less.

8. KinsKicks

Oops. Thanks. I meant higher. Brain to fast for fingers

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice