Bn Pleco Or Pitbull Pleco?

XenoMarc

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hello.
I am currently cycling a 240l fish tank with 9 neon tetras (this is my tank: ) and after cycling, I would like to get an algae eater.
I am considering buying either a BN pleco or some pitbull plecos but I am quite unsure.
Which one would you rather get and why?
Thanks!

KinsKicks

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Go for the BN. Bulldogs are great, but they need a little more specialized care than you may or may not be willing to provide

OP
XenoMarc

XenoMarc

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
KinsKicks said:
Go for the BN. Bulldogs are great, but they need a little more specialized care than you may or may not be willing to provide
Thanks for the reply
May I ask what the special care is?

KinsKicks

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
XenoMarc said:
Thanks for the reply
May I ask what the special care is?
Sure! (There are some exceptions, but I personally don't recommend deviating from their normal).
•coolish water 68-73F (tetras need something warmer)
•A lot of water movement, agitating the water surface, to get oxygen levels near to their needs (as lower temperatures hold less oxygen) (a minimum of 7-8x water turnover). This is sort of the "breaking point" for some species, the current may be too fast for some.

OP
XenoMarc

XenoMarc

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
KinsKicks said:
Sure! (There are some exceptions, but I personally don't recommend deviating from their normal).
•coolish water 68-73F (tetras need something warmer)
•A lot of water movement, agitating the water surface, to get oxygen levels near to their needs (as lower temperatures hold less oxygen) (a minimum of 7-8x water turnover). This is sort of the "breaking point" for some species, the current may be too fast for some.
Thanks for the info

CarrieFisher

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Just curious, I know nothing of the other type of Pleco mentioned, but are they "pit bull" plecos or "bulldog" plecos?

To the OP, mannnnny of us (myself included) have BNPs, in happy to answer any questions you may have about those (based on my experience)

TwoHedWlf

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
KinsKicks said:
•A lot of water movement, agitating the water surface, to get oxygen levels near to their needs (as lower temperatures hold less oxygen)
Other way around, colder water holds more oxygen and all other dissolved gasses, warmer water less.

KinsKicks

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
TwoHedWlf said:
Other way around, colder water holds more oxygen and all other dissolved gasses, warmer water less.
Oops. Thanks. I meant higher. Brain to fast for fingers

New Threads