Help Bn Pleco Looking Rough

zeeweeling

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I've had my tank going for over a month but just starting stocking (for the second time) 3 days ago and have 3 nerites, 4 corys, and one BN pleco who yesterday i noticed has a hole in his dorsal fin. It's right in the center, almost perfectly round hole and im positive it wasnt there when we brought him home. I made sure none of my plastic plants are sharp, and removed some decorations that i thought might have caused it. Today he looks pale...not the striking contrast he had yesterday, and he was eating yesterday, today he seems to be hanging back a bit more when i put food in...also he's got that poop trail going on...

Parameters this morning were 8.0/0/0/0, and my filter media is well-established with bacteria (I started it May 31st)...I've been testing the water every day, and have not seen ammonia/NOs go up which worries me but at the same time isnt that a good thing?

The corys are very active and eating.

Is he just injured? Will he heal? Anything I can do to help him?

I'm brand new, so if you have a suggestion, please spell it out for me! Thank you!

Thunder_o_b

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
What are you feeding it?

Plecs need to be fed their own food. Blanched veg, high quality algae wafers.

Properly cared for BN can live upwards of 20 years. I have one ABN that is 10 years old and another one that is 5 or 6 years old.

zeeweeling

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
algae pellets...its all i have right now

edit: I meant wafers...the sinking wafers. He did eat yesterday. Should I try feeding him at night?

Also please don't assume that because I'm new I'm not trying to care for him properly...that's why I'm here. Congratulations on your good fishkeeping. What about his injury?

zeeweeling

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have one on the way...I'm home with 3 mo but I will try that. I'm also planning to get driftwood when we get fish next, this weekend do you think he can hold out until then (for driftwood)?

zeeweeling

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Update: Tried potato + wafer last night and cucumber today (as per: https://plecoplanet.com/feeding/veggie-list-for-plecs/ no zucchini at the store yet!), in addition to algae wafers and he didnt seem interested in the veg yet. He is swimming around the whole tank, though, and does not look or seem worse, in fact he's more active than yesterday.

Parameters this morning were 7.6/.2ish/0/5ish so i did about a 10-15% water change. All corys are behaving normally.

Any other food suggestions? I'm headed to the fish store Saturday for driftwood and a small school of tetras....

Coptapia

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If you had a 0.2 ammonia reading it sounds like the tank isn’t cycled yet. I wouldn’t get more fish yet.
The hole in the fin is nothing much, it’ll soon heal... if the tank is cycled.

zeeweeling

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
If you had a 0.2 ammonia reading it sounds like the tank isn’t cycled yet. I wouldn’t get more fish yet.
The hole in the fin is nothing much, it’ll soon heal... if the tank is cycled.
Okay. Thank you. I’ll keep testing...anything to keep in mind if I add driftwood? Will it throw off my water if I add it Saturday?

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
You can get a bag of frozen zucchini and take a few pieces out at a time and run it under hot water in a cup till it sinks then run it under cold water and plop it in your tank at night. My plecos always take care of it within a day ( with some help from the other fish and snails ) if it sits too long remove it as to not foul up your water. Good luck!

zeeweeling

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
You can get a bag of frozen zucchini and take a few pieces out at a time and run it under hot water in a cup till it sinks then run it under cold water and plop it in your tank at night. My plecos always take care of it within a day ( with some help from the other fish and snails ) if it sits too long remove it as to not foul up your water. Good luck!
I have never seen frozen zucchini, and I looked through all the frozen veg when I went yesterday! (I was on foot with two little ones in-tow so I couldn’t just zip off to another stop...) Perhaps today I can try a different store. He hasn’t touched the cuke or potato, but I did take them out as suggested after 8 hours and replace with fresh. I am still feeding with algae wafers and as I said he does not seem worse but maybe he’s still just getting settled and a bit stressed from the injury and cycling process. Thanks for the input.

zeeweeling

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Anyone have any experience with repashy gel premixes/recommend them? He’s not touching the cukes or zukes. Could e just be fasting as he heals? Still active, moving all over the tank. He visited his new driftwood today and seems to be doing fine...also parameters showed no ammonia or nitrites after that last water change, just 5 nitrates.

Ferretlady

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
My red bristlenose girl loves Repashy - so do my cories! I've got Soylent Green and Grub Pie right now & might try other varieties later. I sometimes make them up seperately, and sometimes mix them together. Excess will last about a week in the fridge. I've heard some folks had luck freezing their extras - I didn't have good luck with that myself, so I just make a small batch that will be used up within a week at most.

My plec took a little while at first to realize that fresh veggies were food, but once she *finally* tried some, she now attacks her zucchini almost the instant I put it in the tank for her. She's funny with it - she strongly prefers the peel over the insides! After trying it both ways, she seems to like it raw slightly better than when I blanched it. She's so cute with it - even if she's done eating for the moment, she'll sit on top of it & guard it - it's all HERS!! She likes carrots too, and a few other veggies I've offered her, but zucchini appears to be her favorite

Give your pleco some time & keep offering veggies - i'll bet that once he realizes that they're a yummy new food, he'll find his favorite veggie too

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom