BN pleco has cloudy eyes

1. classicflava Member Member

So my bn pleco's eyes are clouded over now. Looks exactly like a cataract. He is not as active as usual but his dorsal fin is up and color is good. Should I be concerned? Thanks in advance for any help

Sent from my QMV7A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

2. Adam55 Well Known Member Member

I'm sorry to hear that. And actually, fish can get cataracts. But the most common cause is normally water quality. What are your parameters right now? Specifically, what is your pH? If it's a water issue or a parasite, it can be treated. If it really is a cataract, I don't know what you can do.

3. classicflava Member Member

Ammo and nitrites are 0ppm, nitrates are around 20ppm. PH is 6.4. Its both eyes so I doubt its cataracts. All the other fish are fine

4. Adam55 Well Known Member Member

OK, I sort of figured it was on the low side. I think that's your culprit. Has it always been like that? You run a risk of crashing your cycle if it dips much lower.

5. classicflava Member Member

As far as I know it has always been that low. Should input something in to raise it?

I use the same water in both my tanks and my BN pleco in the other tank is doing great. If that helps at all

6. Adam55 Well Known Member Member

Is the pH the same in both?

7. classicflava Member Member

I will check but unless its changed recently they have always been the same since I set up the tanks

PH is 6.8 in the other tank. What would cause this difference

Should I move the pleco to the tank with higher pH?