BN Pleco baby!

Discussion in 'Breeding Fish' started by slashgash, Jan 9, 2013.

1. slashgashValued MemberMember

This afternoon I looked in my tank and found 3 brand new platy babies, which was exciting but no big deal to me seeing as my platies are always having babies. So, a few minutes ago I was getting ready for bed and decided to look in my tank to see if i could see the platy babies. I was looking really hard and saw what looked like a portion of the sand moving under my bubble stone. So, I lifted up the bubble stone and saw one tiny baby BN pleco. Im so excited, Ive never had baby plecos before. What do I do? How do i care for this little guy and any possible siblings?

2. EverythingzenWell Known MemberMember

Give a fresh piece of vege every day, otherwise, the little ones survive quite well eating what you feed the adults. You quite possibly have 50 or so more somewhere, you know!

3. slashgashValued MemberMember

I just looked real hard and counted at least 6. But its hard to see them because I have black sand in my tank and they blend in.

4. slashgashValued MemberMember

How do you tell if a female is gravid? I think one of my female albino BNs may be gravid now.

5. EverythingzenWell Known MemberMember

They have a definite roundness that may only be obvious once she has put her eggs somewhere. If a male disappears, and she looks thinner then you'll know what you're looking for in that particular pleco. She might be super hungry, too.

6. slashgashValued MemberMember

A couple of my males disappeared. One has reappeared now, im guessing he was the father of this clutch, but my albino long fin is still among the missing. So, maybe he's also fanning a clutch?

7. slashgashValued MemberMember

Would it be detrimental if i were to gently lift up all the caves in my tank and look for eggs?

8. AlanGreeneWell Known MemberMember

Congrats on all the new life in your tank!!!

9. EthanWell Known MemberMember

i would leave it be :)

10. EiennaFishlore VIPMember

You could really frighten a father looking after his eggs. It may be best to leave it alone.

11. slashgashValued MemberMember

Okay, thank you. I dont want to harm anyone by messing with stuff so ill just leave it. Every time I look im finding more and more babies. lol. Ive counted atleast 11 now. And thats only because I counted 6 regular colored ones and 5 albino so far. Theres probably a lot more.

12. slashgashValued MemberMember

I was able to get one clear picture of one of the babies. They're so cute.

397597_229420443859472_311005478_n.jpg

13. ButterbeanValued MemberMember

How exciting!! congratulations :)

14. JustKeepSwimmingWell Known MemberMember

That's fantastic, congrats!

15. JoannaBWell Known MemberMember

Congratulations!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice