bn pleco babies

Discussion in 'Pleco - Plecostomus' started by croaker, Dec 2, 2012.

1. c

croaker Valued Member Member

my plecos bred again none survived last time
    how do i save some this time?
    move them to another tank?
    keep them in current tank and put them in a breeding net?
    any other ideas?

2. Siggi

Siggi Well Known Member Member

Have they hatched?
    If I remember things right, the males take good care of the eggs, protecting and oxygenating them.
    So, if you want to move the eggs, be sure to move the the eggs, the stone and the fish together...

If the eggs have hatched, and the male allows that, take out the fry and put it in a breeding tank the first three weeks (or more, depending on the size of the bn's tankmates).

3. OP
    OP
    c

yes they have hatched.
    do i take out the male with the fry or just the fry?

4. Ethan

Ethan Well Known Member Member

survival of the fittest is what i am going to do if i ever buy a bn pleco male for my little lady :)

5. Siggi

Siggi Well Known Member Member

If they are hatched fry, take out only the fry.
    This, if the male isn't still too protective of the fry - as long as he guards the hatchlings, no need to take them anywhere. Once he gets less protective, transfer them to a protected (by you...) environment.
    Make sure you get good aeration in the breeder tank.

6. OP
    OP
    c

I tried survival of the fittest the first time none survived.
    I don't want to be over run by plecos but i want a few to survive.
    Right now it looks like one will get out and everyone chases it and eats it.

7. S

Spanosilvio New Member Member

My bn plecos breed in my community tank with dwarf chiclids, dwarf crayfish, shrimps and various pencils and guppies, i just leave them alone, they disappear under driftwoods (i have lots of them) and from last time i have 28/30 babies now arround the tank, i personally think that the best survival rate for them, like for the rest of the fish in my tanks is to keep them dirty, don't vacuum the gravel and put as many woods and hidind places that you can with floating plants and horntworth, they love to spend time in there when they get a little bigger.
    I hope it will help you.
    Silvio

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice