Bn Pleco And Common Pleco

Discussion in 'Pleco - Plecostomus' started by Adrianem99, Apr 11, 2019.

1. Adrianem99

Adrianem99Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +14
    I have a foot long common in a 50 gallon I’m trying to get rid of it but meanwhile I bought 6 bn fry about an inch long and an adult male . Would it be okay to add them in there or hold off? I know of a loca Who has a common foot long as well and a 7 in albino bn .

2. Giul

GiulWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +563
    Experience:
    1 year
    Why not call your local petco and put the pleco up for adoption? They will take the common if they have the space

3. OP
    OP
    Adrianem99

Ratings:
    +14
    I don’t trust petco for that I may just trade it in at aquatek or something . I just wanted to keep it until I can get a 100 gallon but that will a long while and i prefer bn over common

4. SarahMcGee

SarahMcGeeValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +49
    Experience:
    2 years
    I've not had common plecos but hear they are fairly carnivorous when large so I suspect it would happily munch a baby bristlenose if it happened upon one. The adult might be okay because of his size but idk

5. OP
    OP
    Adrianem99

Ratings:
    +14
    I t
    I traded him in for a clown pleco So win/win? :/

6. MamaLlama76

MamaLlama76Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +48
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Do you have a picture of your clown? Our LFS sold a "clown pleco" to our almost 16 year old son, and it is looking more and more like some other pleco species, probably a juvie female BN of some variety (it is brown and white randomly patchy looking colored...not the clear striped pattern of a clown or other striped pleco type and not round dots. They had some BN those tanks the previous week, but also some clowns too.

7. OP
    OP
    Adrianem99

Ratings:
    +14

Attached Files:

8. MamaLlama76

Ratings:
    +48
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Thanks! Ours looks totally different. It (maybe she) doesn't have the stripes across her back, just jagged (almost pixelated? looking) brown and white patches. My younger son felt her upper lip (moustache area) when they had her in a dish trying to photographer her and said she had some little whiskers starting to grow along there.

9. OP
    OP
    Adrianem99

Ratings:
    +14
    Yeah I don’t know of them having bristles. I saw an older one today at lfs about 4 in and it’s back colors were more blended and only had stripes on fins area. Any picture of yours?

10. MamaLlama76

Ratings:
    +48
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    My son took some on the camera he got for 4-H, but we are having trouble finding my camera bag (for my good camera) that has my USB adapter in it (life with kiddos!) I'll try to upload one when I find it.

11. Giul

GiulWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +563
    Experience:
    1 year
    If yours has a mustache it’s highly likely that you have a bristlenose. The OP definitely has a clown pleco, and a nice one at that!