BN Pleco Alone in a 15.5 Gallon Tank.

Tup

Hello, I was recently gifted a 2 Foot, 15.5-gallon (60L) tank and when I was thinking about fish ideas, I came across the BN Pleco and just absolutely fell in love with them, and now I was wondering if I could have 1 Bristlenose alone in this 15.5 Gallon tank without any other fish. Thanks for any advice.

Hi, I was planning on getting 1 Longfin BN Plceo but I heard they need at least 25 Gallons so any stocking ideas for a fast flowing, well-circulated 2-foot tank would be welcomed.

awilkinson871

I would not put him in less than 25 gallons. They grow 5-6 inches and need to have a tank with a buildup of algae so they usually go into a well established matured tank. They also must have driftwood to rasp on. BN like to hide and really don't do much so just him in a tank is going to be really boring.

Tup

Oh ok, Thanks what would you suggest instead?

awilkinson871

You could do a betta, endlers, guppies, mollies, scarlet badis. I am sure there are others that I am not thinking of. You just have to research really well as 15 gallons really isn't that large.

MoshJosh

Yeah, I think that tank is a bit small for a BN.

could do ember tetras.

Tup

Would a Longfin Bn be alright as they're smaller and like half made out of fins?

MoshJosh

I mean technically, yeah you could probably make it work, but most people would recommend against it. Even though it’s mostly fins it’s still a pretty big fish for that size tank.

If you do go with it, I would recommend making that the only fish, maybe some shrimp.

Tup

Yeah, that was my plan, I was gonna make it the perfect (Except for size) Tank for the BN who would be alone, hopefully encouraging him to come out more...

I heard that longfin bn plecos get 10 inches (6-inch body, 4-inch fins) which means I wouldn't be able to have them in my tank, any advice is welcomed. Thanks

BigManAquatics

Never measured but i could see it, some of them get extravagantly long fins.

Tup

Yeah but everything I have read says they are 4-5 inches and the fins were part of that...

Flyfisha

Measuring fish without the length of the fins is something that seems to be a cultural thing in some countries. It seems very strange to me as an Australian. But the world is a strange place sometimes.

Having kept a few long fin BN for a couple of years before moving them at local auctions I see it’s very likely that the fins can be almost as long as the body.
Having grown out a number of spawns it is surprising how fresh water and good foodS can make a big difference in the adult size.
5 inch short fin BN are often seen meaning 8 or 9 is definitely possible.

Personally I don’t keep BN in tanks smaller than 35 gallons regardless of the tail type. With 40 being my preferred tank size.
Yes it’s possible to have two in a 20 gallon short term ( one month) to breed.

Tup

Thank you so much, Just double-checking so they could grow to 9 or so inches, right?

Flyfisha

Here’s the situation Tup. Granddad mixed up 3 or more species or sup species of BN plecos from the Amazon river basin before anyone knew any better. Those fish breed in Australia are slightly different to what you have. Even within those BN sold at big box chain stores there is variations in sizes, colours, tail types and general looks. Those sold in Australia regularly reach 6 inches, from what I am told those in North America are not as big .

A female is always smaller and less aggressive around food. With every spawn some small stunted fish that survive to adulthood they are not suitable for breeding. From 150 fry a few will always fail to thrive, some will be runts and only a few will be the dominant fish fighting for the majority of the food and best resting places etc.

Sorry I can’t say how big a random BN will get.
The food and fresh water available in the first few weeks of live make a big difference in overall size and health from what I have seen.

Tup

Oh no, I'm from New Zealand, so our fish will probably be the same as yours, but then again I'm not sure where my fish store imports from or if they breed themselves so they could be from North America...

Flyfisha

If you have a big enough tank I would say get one if you want one. Enjoy each day together. They can live to be 8 years old , but that is not guaranteed.

Tup

Yeah, thank you for your help. I'm trying to get a tank for a Bn by themselves with the (almost) perfect conditions for him/her so they have a happy life.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Meenu
Replies
Views
TexasDomer
  • Question
Replies
Views
AggressiveAquatics
Replies