Bluish Specks On Male Betta's Body

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by phenris, Jun 12, 2018.

1. phenris

phenris Valued Member Member

So these have been present for quite a long time now and I haven't found ANY information that matches up to it. He isn't showing any out of the ordinary behaviors or showing a lack of appetite - everything seems apparently fine except those weird discoloration dots. The most I've found is maybe missing scales but there's nothing in his tank but him and a couple silk plants. Should be noted that they appeared shortly after I added a marimo moss ball (which I've since taken out because of a huge algae outbreak).

Water parameters -
    pH: 7.4
    Nitrites: 0
    Ammonia: 0
    Nitrates: roughly 30ppm?
    Chlorine: 0
    Temperature: 77 degrees Fahrenheit

2. Demeter

Demeter Fishlore VIP Member

He honestly looks great. I do see the fee spots on hos body but I think that is normal coloration. A betta won’t stay the same color as when you buy them. As they age some will change color entirely while others will get just a few changes. I believe your boy might be getting the “grizzled” pattern or something similar. Google “grizzle betta” and you will see what I mean.

3. OP
    OP
    phenris

phenris Valued Member Member

Thanks! He is getting a little old, even starting to form that characteristic "hump" that older bettas get so you may be right. As long as it isn't hurting him or putting him in any danger, this is fine by me. It just worried me a bit because the specks are kind of in alignment with his scales.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice