BlueRam Feeding Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

MervinKhlonson

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Hi Guys!

I was just wondering why my blue ram refuses to eat the flake food and spitting out the sinking pellets? Any advise? Thanks.

ivonko

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
here is something i read at aquatic community.com

The German blue ram is an omnivore that needs food from both the animal kingdom and the plant kingdom to stay healthy and happy. When they arrive to a new aquarium, it is not unusual for them to loose their appetite and become really finicky. Don’t be surprised if your rams only nibble at the food or embarks on a full blown hunger strike. Try to coax them into eating by giving them really tasty morsels like frozen or live mosquito larvae or similar. Once they have started eating again, you can gradually let them try flake food, pellets and other types of food. After a while, most rams will readily accept a wide range of different foods in the aquarium.

heres a link to that info and more hope this helps!
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/cichlid/germanblueram.php

Ilyas

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys!

I was just wondering why my blue ram refuses to eat the flake food and spitting out the sinking pellets? Any advise? Thanks.
Hi there. I am no expert but I do do a lot of research on the fish I keep. I agree with ivonko's post, but this can be true of any fish. I vary the diet for all my fish. My veg tank is pretty much the same all the time. Bit all my other tanks are omnivorous. I feed flakes. and pellets at all feedings and treat to frozen blood worms or shelled and diced up shrimp. I give shelled frozen peas (you have to remove that skin on the pea or they wont eat it) 2-3 times a week. Peas prevent constipation and make their colors pop among other things. They also want really clean water. Give them cover as you would a loach (plentiful, plants, caves, rocks, tight/small). I am sure they will come around. Keep us posted...

FridayGt

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Also, with the pellets, try pre soaking them so that it's easier to chew. Mine have a problem with pellets eight out of the jar.

OP
M

MervinKhlonson

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
OMG... it just saw both of them (from different tanks) eat the sinking pellet. Yippeeeeee! I do hope this continues. But for the mean time, I would considering purchasing cichlid pellets/frozen bloodworms in the grocery.

Thanks for the great help guys!

kevin215

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Mine were picky eaters at first and still are with flake the only flake food i can get them to eat is new life spectrum.They will eat everything else, bloodworms, shrimp,beefhart they love. Maybe try a different brand of flake as a staple and other things a treats .

Ilyas

Valued Member
Reaction score
OMG... it just saw both of them (from different tanks) eat the sinking pellet. Yippeeeeee! I do hope this continues. But for the mean time, I would considering purchasing cichlid pellets/frozen bloodworms in the grocery.

Thanks for the great help guys!
I find mine eat a lot of the left-overs. I often find them feeding at the bottom of the tank,and not as much at meal time as the other fish do. Possibly something to look for as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Weekly

Votes: 42 64.6%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 10 15.4%
  • Monthly

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 12 18.5%

Top Bottom