Blue Velvets Shrimp Qeustions

Discussion in 'Cherry Shrimp' started by fish18, Jul 5, 2018.

1. f

fish18 New Member Member

hello first tome posting. but i have some blue cherry shrimp qeustions. so first off do they breed true? and how many would you get to start a colony? also is 8 a peice a good priece?

2. tetraboi

tetraboi Valued Member Member

I don’t understand the first question, there isn’t really a number for a colony but I would say maybe 5 or 6 depending on the size tank you have. 8 a piece is good for a blue cherry shrimp but the prices for red cherry shrimp or Amano shrimp is generally lower.

3. OP
    OP
    f

fish18 New Member Member

thanks so much for the response. by breed true i meant will all the offspring be blue?

4. tetraboi

Np, I don’t know much about breeding shrimp but they will probably breed true.

5. OP
    OP
    f

fish18 New Member Member

oh thanks so much! and also the tank is 2 gallons so would 4 shrimp be enough to start a colony?

6. tetraboi

Idk, you can probably hold more, but whatever is ok with you

7. oh.sweet.louise

oh.sweet.louise New Member Member

Hiya! I have 13 blue dreams and 4 mischlings in my 3 gallon with no issues! I've got it pretty heavily planted so they've got heaps of places to hide and feel safe. The more you get as well, the higher the likelihood of getting a male/female mix too!

8. OP
    OP
    f

fish18 New Member Member

thanks for the response! yes i am planning to start a colony to breed.

9. allllien

allllien Well Known Member Member

They'll all breed blue unless they've been mixed with other colors and mated with them. The more you mix colors, the more likely you are to end up with just brown /undesirable colors. It's the same for all colors, and normally they're always kept/bred in their specific color only (not mixed), so you should only get blues :)

10. OP
    OP
    f

fish18 New Member Member

thanks so much. i will ne getting 4 blue velvets only tommorow night!

11. t

tjander Well Known Member Member

These type of shrimp require a mature tank. I hope you have cycled your tank and have let it run a few months.
    In my experience the chances that your 4 shrimp will survive is low. Not to toss a wet blanket but I think you should be prepared for the worst case.
    Your best bet is to get 12 and hope they breed before they die off. For some reason the off spring shrimp seem to thrive but new adult shrimp just don’t seem to make it.
    I don’t know why but this is my experience.

Good luck keep us posted.

12. allllien

Yeah they need an established tank. I haven't had blues before but have other colors (yellow, red, assorted rili) and they've been pretty hardy, but it might just depend on the actual strain. In some cases I've only started with 1 berried female and ended up with heaps of them! Definitely agree though the next generation is the one that takes off, probably just the ones we buy in the shop are already near the end of their lifespan as the nicer ones are adult size.

13. OP
    OP
    f

fish18 New Member Member

thanks so much guys! well sadly the pet store didnt get any blues in their shipment. but i will check to see of they have any next shipment. the tamk is fully cycled for about 2 months and its very well planted . the shrimp they have are typpically juveniles about half an inch. thanks for the replies!

14. OP
    OP
    f

fish18 New Member Member

15. allllien

They should love that tank :D Looks great for shrimp. If you can't get any at the store, if you have a buy and sell website like Gumtree there should be some on there ;)

16. OP
    OP
    f

fish18 New Member Member

Thanks so much! I ended up ordering 10 blueberry blue shrimp off of ebay. Has anyone got those shrimp? What does the name mean? Are they just blue velvets?

17. allllien

I forgot you guys have fish and shrimp etc on ebay, live things aren't allowed on ebay in my country..
    I haven't heard of them before, but I suspect it's just what someone calls their own strain, or maybe they've developed a different shade of blue. Hope you get some nice ones :)

18. OP
    OP
    f

fish18 New Member Member

Thanks for the replie. If you dont mind me asking what country are you in? What about plants?

19. allllien

No problem, I'm in Australia -plants are allowed but only within the country, and excluding some states (WA and TAS).
    Fish, shrimp, snails and any other animals aren't permitted. They're allowed on Gumtree, but only because it's intended as local pick up, although some people will post.

20. MaximumRide14

MaximumRide14 Well Known Member Member

I actually sell my Fantasy Dream Blue Neocaridina shrimp on ebay. I have seen the post for the blueberry blue shrimp on ebay, but I have not actually bought any myself.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice