Blue Tongue Skink Setup

egleason16

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I’ve had reptiles in the past, but I’ve recently decided to get a blue tongued skink. I know they’re fans of digging around so I’ve already picked a substrate, and I have a spare hide that I previously used with a house full of hermit crabs. I have a spare 10.0 UVB bulb and spare heat lamps. What else do they need? I have a ramped water dish that I used with my crabs, it’s about 2 inches deep and 5x4 in. Is that okay with a BTS, or do they need a bowl to soak in?

BReefer97

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I’ve had reptiles in the past, but I’ve recently decided to get a blue tongued skink. I know they’re fans of digging around so I’ve already picked a substrate, and I have a spare hide that I previously used with a house full of hermit crabs. I have a spare 10.0 UVB bulb and spare heat lamps. What else do they need? I have a ramped water dish that I used with my crabs, it’s about 2 inches deep and 5x4 in. Is that okay with a BTS, or do they need a bowl to soak in?

Well all of this depends on what kind of blue tongue skink you’re looking in to getting as there are different subspecies that require different care. What kind are you looking in to getting and how big is the enclosure you’re going to use? Everything from substrate, heating and lighting is different depending on what type of BTS you’re getting.

egleason16

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Well all of this depends on what kind of blue tongue skink you’re looking in to getting as there are different subspecies that require different care. What kind are you looking in to getting and how big is the enclosure you’re going to use? Everything from substrate, heating and lighting is different depending on what type of BTS you’re getting.
It’s a young merauke and I have a 40 gallon.

BReefer97

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
It’s a young merauke and I have a 40 gallon.
I breed Meraukes and a 40 gallon isn’t going to be large enough and if it has a screen lid it’s not going to hold humidity in. It’s best that you use a PVC enclosure. Meraukes are the largest of the blue tongue skinks (length wise, not weight) and they grow very quickly so a 40 isn’t going to last longer than a few months. It needs to be 4 foot x 2 foot x 2 foot. Humidity should be 60-90% constantly, a screen lid doesn’t hold this in especially since meraukes like a basking spot of 110-120 degrees. You’ll want to use a thermostat with your heat light because the temperatures they require are so high they could be dangerous if left unmonitored. I use a Zilla thermostat for my skinks.

And do you have pictures of the skink you’re planning on getting? There’s not many breeders of meraukes right now so a lot of them are wild caught and need a vet visit to check for parasites or they’re sometimes labeled as the completely wrong subspecies because meraukes are one of the more expensive BTS.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom