Blue Tang In 3ft 60g

GetFreshedAquariums

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I have a red sea max 250L (the true 60 gallon)
Someone locally has offered me a 3" blue tang for free and they are usually about $85-$100
I'm well aware how big they get and I know I would need to move it on in a year or two but for now would he be ok?
Current stocking is a pair of perc clowns, Bangaii cardinal, black bar chromis and a coral cardinal.
Filter etc is fine and I already have some nori.

Jesterrace

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I'm going to have to disagree. Personally I am really not a fan of the "I'll just move it to a bigger tank later" as each move is stressful on the fish. Futhermore the Blue Tang stands a very good chance at bullying your other fish. A 3 foot long tank is really inadequate for a tang (even a smaller one). I had a Yellow Tang in my 90 gallon (4 foot long) that wasn't much bigger and it tried to take over my tank in less than a month. Not saying it couldn't work, I'm just saying it's not the best plan.

Dch48

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Personally, I would go for it. Especially if you're willing to upgrade when it becomes necessary.

Joey Bekius

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Reef Ventures said:
I have a red sea max 250L (the true 60 gallon)
Someone locally has offered me a 3" blue tang for free and they are usually about $85-$100
I'm well aware how big they get and I know I would need to move it on in a year or two but for now would he be ok?
Current stocking is a pair of perc clowns, Bangaii cardinal, black bar chromis and a coral cardinal.
Filter etc is fine and I already have some nori.
You can but it can be hard to get it out when you need to move it

Jesterrace

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Joey Bekius said:
You can but it can be hard to get it out when you need to move it
Agreed. Trapping and removing fish is never as easy or as an exact of a science as it seems. It's often more stressful for the owner than the fish. Goodness knows I have removed and transferred a few.

Dch48

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Tangs can get caught up in the net too because of the spines in their fins.

Jesterrace

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Dch48 said:
Tangs can get caught up in the net too because of the spines in their fins.
To an extent they can, surprisingly the most bizarre netting issue I have ever seen was when I bought my Coral Beauty. The LFS had a heck of a time getting it out of the holding tank and into the bag as it bit the net and wouldn't let go.

Joey Bekius

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
When my dad got his green chromis' for his tank the guy at the lfs had a hard time catching them, and then they started hiding around the foxface they shared a tank with

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom