Blue tang growth rate

toekneejo

I set up my first FOWLR tank just at a year ago, prior to this I had always had freshwater and I finally wanted the beauty of a saltwater tank. The first 2 fish I introduced were a clown and a Blue hippo along with a CC starfish and a small red tipped hermit crab, followed that up with a clown and a Yellow tang and then added a coral banded shrimp, an orchid dottyback and finally a a fire shrimp. All of this is in a 46 gallon Bow front aqaurium with live sand and approx. 30 lbs of live rock with an emperor 400 filter (80 gallon) and a 75 gallon zoo-med canister filter. I have not had any fatalities nor any problems. My question is the blue and yellow are beginning to grow. When I bought them no one at the LFS told me how big they would eventually get. In fact, reading and researching I believe I am lucky they have survived this long! My blue tang wasn't even an inch long---about the size of a nickle and the yellow was just a bit bigger than that. Now they are both pushing 3-4 inches and I know I must get them into a bigger tank. So, due to my available space I am wanting to build my own aquarium 150 gallon but it would still be limited to 5 foot length and 2 foot width and 22 inches high. How soon do I need to do this since they appear to have acclimated fine at this time? Also I know they need to be able to swim will those dimentions allow for that? Thanks for any input.

toekneejo

Not meaning to be a pest but I have been reading the articles and forum, since I found this site yesterday, and really respect the knowledge here. I do not have any reliable advice around me as noted my LFS sold me 2 tangs for a 46 gallon tank. I have grown quite fond of my aquarium and have found a DIY aquarium building site, knowing that in order for my stock to grow and thrive they need more. I am also needing to ask questions regarding a skimmer and I would also like to incorporate live plants.

Mike

I would get the blue tang into a larger tank asap. They are more active swimmers than yellow tangs and they do seem to grow a bit faster. A 4 foot long tank would be good for them.

As far as live plants go, do you mean macro algae?

toekneejo

Don't really know what I mean, lol. I am currently using plastic plants for decoration and think that using live plants would be not only cool but more beneficial to the fish?

Yes the Blue tang is the one I am more concerned with. "She" appears to be doing fine as I stated before but reading and researching I now know I am doing a disservice to her. I also read that they can live 20 plus years?

So do you think I will be able to permanently house the Blue and Yellow and my other critters in a 120 gallon custom 5 foot long tank?

The other things I'd like to question you on (since I have your attention ) Should I look into getting a protein skimmer, will I notice the benefits? And last one; when I feed norI and when I clean my tank I put my hands in the tank, is this a bad practice and if so why?

Mike

Look up "macro algae". There are a few that are kinda nice but you may have issues keeping them with tangs.

The yellow tang should be ok, maybe not on the blue tang, depends on how big it gets. I would definitely urge you to get a good protein skimmer. You will definitely notice the benefits and be very pleased when you pull out the first full cup of gunk from the skimmer.

I use shoulder length gloves that are around $20 online (check amazon) and it prevents oils, soaps, etc from my arms from entering the tank water and keeps my arms dry

toekneejo

Awesome and thank you! I will look into getting gloves and I have read the ebook from this site and will be getting the aqua C that will be excessive for my current setup but will use it on my custom tank, as soon as I can get it built! Another question, if you don't mind..... Do you think my current filters and LR and sand are adequate? I will of course up my LR in the new tank. As for plants I probably won't mess with it right now.

Mike

There are better skimmers available these days than the aquac. That article is older and equipment is getting better all the time. Check out the octopus line of skimmers. They are pretty good and affordable.

If you have enough live rock for the beneficial bacteria and a good skimmer a canister filter or hang on filter is not really needed IMO.

toekneejo

Wow, thank you and I will.

Most photos and links are disabled if you are not logged into the forum.

Top Bottom