Blue Smokey Angelfish Spawned!

1. Mcasella

Mcasella Fishlore VIP Member

I picked up this pair for 50$, they are gorgeous to say the least. The female is a blue smokey pearlscale veil, the male is a blue smokey snakeskin. They just spawned for me after being moved to a smaller tank by themselves (after terrorizing other angels until i could move them). I am being a bad fish parent and stealing their eggs, mom tried to ram me so they have the protective instinct, however I do not know if the male was paying attention and actually fertilized or if they are going to hatch in 36-40 hours time (they laid them around 9am this morning).
    The female has a stripe of pink in her dorsal, the male is just a plain jerk to anyone that isn't girlfriend, might call him Fiend.
    (No neither of these are the blue smokey sibling to @bizaliz3 's, @AngelTheGypsy ...there is one more i am forgetting... :( )
    20180717_180142.jpg

2. Aqua 59

Aqua 59 Well Known Member Member

Congratulations! :)

3. bizaliz3

bizaliz3 Fishlore Legend Member

Isn't @el337 the other one? I miss her!

Congrats on that new pair! Very pretty! You'll have to get some good pics of them out of the bag.

4. OP
    OP
    Mcasella

They are in a tank, the whiteness you see are my legs, lol. So far only two have turned white, right now just crossing my fingers and keeping an eye on them. The pair has been mollified with some brine shrimp/blood worms, but they are still hovering in the corner their eggs were in on the slate rock. They weren't holding still so hopefully they will over the next days. They were almost white when they came in it took them almost two days before the smokey came back in in strong black. I do not know if the male carries a pearlscale gene...

5. Corrie Williamson

Corrie Williamson Valued Member Member

Beautiful angels, congrats on the spawn.

6. OP
    OP
    Mcasella

So far the eggs look good, no fungus, about 1/5 have turned white so far, they should be hatching sometime tomorrow (fingers crossed), excited to say the least lol.
    Coupling this spawn with my newest angels (no pictures yet, they don't look like much but their genes were what I was after), BSP gene angels (three survivors, seller plans on sending replacements), two blue silver and one platinum. They are about quarter size right now. They are all swimming now and upright, no harsh breathing or weird swimming.

7. tfreema

tfreema Fishlore VIP Member

Congrats! I hope you have lots of wigglers tomorrow!!

8. OP
    OP
    Mcasella

Down to about 30-40 eggs, Fiend did a terrible job fertilizing (must have been distracted by his own reflection). However, there are little black dots visible in most of them (I know I am not quite out of the woods for white eggs, but from about 250 eggs nothing terrible). Had to remove them from the rock and get them into a new container because the white eggs were breaking apart before i could remove them. They get the ability to raise the next batch while I focus on getting these guys to grow/survive. I believe the female will do fine raising a batch based on how she reacted to the eggs being near but not with her. The male I am not sure how he will do as a parent.

9. ValerieAdams

ValerieAdams Well Known Member Member

They're beautiful!

10. alykat

alykat Valued Member Member

Gorgeous angels good luck with the eggs!

11. OP
    OP
    Mcasella

They hatched yesterday, there are about 25-30 wigglers, I am not very optimistic because they are just so tiny. Hopefully they are able to prove me wrong and will develop well.

12. Dawn Michele

Dawn Michele Well Known Member Member

Congratulations!!!

13. tfreema

Yay wigglers!! That is a crucial step/hurdle to overcome and they did it!

One step at a time. Today wigglers. In the next couple days see who is left and eating that bbs. I am pulling for a high success rate.

14. OP
    OP
    Mcasella

A couple didn't make it out of the eggs, but I have a count of just over 20 wiggling wigglers. Some of them have darker spots on their bellies but as a whole they are much darker than other angel wigglers i have had (compared to the albino fry they are gray). They are just so very tiny, hopefully they grow as they become free swimming.

15. OP
    OP
    Mcasella

Babies are growing eyes! Parents keep trying to either take them back or eat them through the thick plastic. So far they are stable and not dying off, they look larger now as well.

16. tfreema

Yay!!

17. AngelTheGypsy

AngelTheGypsy Fishlore VIP Member

I’ve been watching and hoping for the best! Glad they are developing well so far!

18. OP
    OP
    Mcasella

Here is a blurry pic, phone wont do better. Some are trying to swim to get off the bottom, still have the same amount as yesterday wiggling.
    20180722_102045.jpg

19. Dreypa

Dreypa New Member Member

Stunning angels

20. OP
    OP
    Mcasella

Fiend and female spawned again and the babies aren't even free swimming yet! After getting all the babies free from the slate I placed it back in the tank for aesthetics (and for whenever pair decided to spawn again), I go to inspect babies and notice the female focusing and fanning the slate this morning, breeding tube still out, male was in middle of tank making 'back off' movements - same amount of eggs as previous, female is much more chill about eggs than the male. They keep this batch as I raise their siblings (the current not yet freeswimmers are about four times the size they were when they hatched out, eyes look good, egg sack not quite gone yet).

I am a little surprised, the only pair I had spawn in such a short time was a female that got a brand new mate after taking her other one away, I got her a matching gold male, she spawned and produced new offspring with the new male around a week after the last batch was laid.