Blue Regal Tang with white spots

beachcomber

This morning when I woke up, my Tang (Dory) has developed little white spots all over her body. Is this ich? I have never had any diseases in any of my tanks in four+ years. Everyone else in the tank looks fine. Dory is still active and feeding, but looks awful. Catching her to put in a QT is almost impossible without taking the whole tank apart. Does anyone know if I can safely medicate the whole tank? If so, with what. I have had Dory for four years and don't want to lose her!

cerianthus

Not just few but covred and overnight? I would not medicate reef and probably difficulty in catching, I would try skunk cleaner shrimps. That is if it is Ich or Amyloodinum. If still active and eatig as usual, how about just monitring closely!
Does Dory sleeps out in open? SO called reef safe Ich med,unless they have a proven to be reef safe (not by mfr but by hobbyists), I am always skeptical of such as far as products which I encountered.
I hope it's not ich nor amylood. If heavily infested and well progressed,, should not be active nor eating but it is possible it is beginning stage of such infestation.

I wish I had better options but in reef,other removing & treating, I can't think of any safe and proven med.

Four years in captivity is pretty impressive for most Dorys kept in captivity. Hope nothing serious.

beachcomber

ok. Thanks, will just monitor closely for now. Dory sleeps in her little cave in the rock. She looks vey healthy otherwise. I saw no sign of anything peculiar yesterday, so I have to assume this came overnight. I have a coral banded shrimp, aand as I am typing to you, Dory is looking for attention from the shrimp. Are they smarter than we know? Throughout the day, I will try to get a pic of Dory up close to help in identification.x

beachcomber

By the way, any suggestions for lighting and feeding during these times?

beachcomber

Dory

I was able to snap this pic, I hope it shows well for you. BC

Attachments

beachcomber

Well it's only been three days, and Dory seems to be doing better. I don't want to speak too soon, I know the little white things(can't remember the tech name) drop off as part of the life cycle of ich, but no other fish are showing any signs, and Dory has stopped flashing. She continues to eat and play with her friends as usual. Maybe it was like a 24hr flu? I'm still hopeful, she is our Alpha Fish. (it's all about Dory around here)

beachcomber

Well, another day has passed, and Dory looks as though nothing ever happend. It appears as though she has made friends with the coral banded shrimp, and he enjoys giving her a wax and polish! I'm very happy but am still watching closley. Thanks to cerianthus for advice on just monitoring closley before over-reacting. I was ready to start meds, but nature seems to know best. woo hoo!

Most photos and links are disabled if you are not logged into the forum.

Top Bottom