Blue Rams

1. Marco Rodriguez

Marco Rodriguez Well Known Member Member

Hi,

I was just curious if someone could help me sex my Electric Blue Rams and if anyone has hints or tips on breeding them? I don't rly know what I'm looking for for the gender differences

2. MattS99

MattS99 Well Known Member Member

Pictures would help. Females should have iridescent blue spots throughout the black spot on their sides. Males also appear to have a spikier dorsal fin.

3. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

4. s

smee82 Well Known Member Member

A Red belly is the easiest way to sex them.

Also a females egg tube thing os cylindrical and a males is more pointy almost pencil shaped.

5. OP
    OP
    Marco Rodriguez

Working on getting good pictures. Still finishing off a green water issue but I'll get the pics out in the morning thanks :)

6. chromedome52

chromedome52 Fishlore VIP Member

The problem with Electric Blue Rams is that good quality fish have the body covered with iridescent blue, so the black spot is obscured (and that is not a dependable method anyway). It also tends to hide the red belly of females, though there may be more of a pink-purplish hue to the belly of a female. Usually one has to depend on some age dependent characteristics, so the fish need to be mature for these to be useful. Two or three long extended dorsal rays on the male, and a stockier looking body on the female. The latter is due to a female filling with eggs, so they have to be sexually mature and well fed.

7. OP
    OP
    Marco Rodriguez

Ah well the are still very young and new to the tank so I'm struggling to get a good pic they are still kind of scared of me. Thanks for the advice though :)