Blue rams

Howeyg

over last day or so my male blue ram has become aggressive to my female and is seeming to chase her round the tank continuously, she doesn't seem to be able to rest could it be a mating thing?, I have another tank I can set up will I be able to just plug in a fliter with some of my tank water or will it begin the cycle all over will I be able to leave her in the tank without filter over night or not??? :-[ :-[ :-[

Howeyg

Re: *Urgent* Blue ram

help??

capekate

HI Howeyg
Those cichlids sure can be stinkers!! Are you sure you have a female and a male ram? The male if it is, is just doing what comes naturally and yes they can chase the females relentlessly. Not sure of your question tho, so I will ask.... do you have a fliter now that you can use on the new tank? If you are setting up a new tank it will have to go through its cycle regardless of whether you use a used filter media or not. Tho using some used filter media from an established tank will speed up the cycling process faster. If you don't have an extra filter til tomorrow, I'm not sure but think that she can be ok for one night without it, but she will need to get her aeration from some source tho like a air stone or bubble wand and air pump.

Howeyg

I have a used filter with ready filter media I was just wondering if I needed to get her out and if I could set up the tank for use today with used filter media and used tank water?

seems like she doesn't need taking out but it is worrying me

capekate

I have a used filter with ready filter media I was just wondering if I needed to get her out and if I could set up the tank for use today with used filter media and used tank water?

seems like she doesn't need taking out but it is worrying me
You can set up the tank with the filter and old filter media and put her in the tank if you really needed to. If you are worried that she will get sick or needs some rest, by putting her in the new tank will be fine. You know that the new tank will need to be cycled and you will have to follow the course of action that is needed when you cycle with fish. If she really looks like she is being tormented and you think she will come to harm by the male, then by all means move her. You will have to be the judge of that as you can watch to see what goes on between the two. good luck with your fish, and btw rams are beautiful cichlids! ;D

Butterfly

Yes this is mating behaviour for rams this is one of the reasons it's really best to have two females for each male. She needs places to hide so she can get away from him and rest or he will actually kill her. When she is ready to breed her tummy will turn a bright rosy color. good luck!
Carol

Howeyg

Yes this is mating behaviour for rams this is one of the reasons it's really best to have two females for each male. She needs places to hide so she can get away from him and rest or he will actually kill her. When she is ready to breed her tummy will turn a bright rosy color. good luck!
Carol

she hides from him between filter and heater is that alright? should I separate them when her belly turns reallly bright colour? . I thought it happened already I got a pic on and the other day I spotted them making a "nest" in the gravel which was a sort of dip next to a cave. I was worried because I thought that they had already mated and were ready for eggs a couple days ago

Butterfly

She needs some place besides the filter and heater to hide behind. Caves or plants, just anywhere to get out of his sight. Rams lay eggs. So what they do is display mating behaviour for a few days then she will lay eggs in a pit or on a flat rock then he will come right behind her and fertilize the eggs. he will still chase her all over unless his attention is diverted or they are separated.
Carol

Howeyg

She needs some place besides the filter and heater to hide behind. Caves or plants, just anywhere to get out of his sight. Rams lay eggs. So what they do is display mating behaviour for a few days then she will lay eggs in a pit or on a flat rock then he will come right behind her and fertilize the eggs. he will still chase her all over unless his attention is diverted or they are separated.
Carol

I have caves and logs she can hide in but she seems intent in staying the top half of the tank

Callum The Cat

I think he might became less agresive with another female ram males can be agreesive when breeding I would get anpther femlae

Peace Out Callum!

Howeyg

ok ill try to I don't tihnk I have much space left though

Callum The Cat

I think that u should efinetley add another femle

Peace Out Callum!

Howeyg

er well the male has stopped chasing her and her belly has gone a deep red and he is "protecting" her from the pentazona barb even though they aren't doing anytihng you guys know what colour there eggs are so I may have a chance of keeping some

Howeyg

ok they still haven't layed eggs any one know how long after her belly goes pink shes lays eggs? and what colour the eggs are after they hatch?

How do I stop the other fish eating the eggs ??

Top Bottom