Blue Rams with Angels Question

1. Sweet-lu84 Initiate Member

Does anyone have advice on putting angels and blue rams in the same tank. I've seen plenty of tanks where it worked, but any opinions / comments / experiences?

2. Sweet-lu84 Initiate Member

ps. 20 gallon tank to start with.

3. Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

By the way Welcome to Fishlore. A twenty gallon tank is a little small for Angels unless you PLAN to upgrade later. I have my 2 angels in with 2 blue balloon rams, a golden ram and two blue rams in a 30 gallon tall. I know the angels especially will get too big for this tank so, I will be moving them all over to another one (but that is a whole differant story). My point is that they get along fine. They do not quarrel except for the occassional chase. Other than that they pretty much could care less the other one is there. I hope you are getting RAMS. They are one of my very favorites. I want to go shopping this weekend and try to find a healthy german blue ram or two.:;eye

4. Sweet-lu84 Initiate Member

OMG, thats what I'm going to do this weekend!!... after I hand build the fish tank stand b/c i'm too poor to buy one.. lol. Thanks, thats sound advice! I actually have a 20 gallon with a breeding pair of two relatively large angles which are doing very well (and they do need a 55 gallon at some point soon :( ). I really only ask b/c I have some angle fry which are growing rapidly in a 10 gallon and I would like to keep a few of my favorites in this new blue ram 20 gallon I'm starting.

Hmm, The larger angels don't pick on the blue rams, do they? I mean aside from the chasing.

5. Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

:;bnMine don't pick on them at all, and the german blue balloon RAMS are only the size of a nickel. And there really isn't much chasing... an occassional "get out of here" type thing. There is absolutely no nipping in my tank at all.

6. Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

:;frog3By the way, I do not know how much they are where you live, but they are $50.00 a PAIR here. So, I wouldn't put them in with anything that would hurt one little spine on there head.:;hf

7. Sweet-lu84 Initiate Member

WOW!!, they aren't that much where I am. So I'm doing a little more research and finding their life expectancy is at max three years? How long have you had yours for Wendy? A big selling point for me on fish nowadays is longevity and growing a bond with them. They are so cute and beautiful, but it sux if they don't live that long.

8. Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

:;smackI have only had mine 6 months. But your right get your money for your investment. I am glad they are not that much where you are. They are really hard to find here and only one shop I know of carries them.:;drum

9. bassbonediva Fishlore VIP Member

I kept an adult male GBR with an adult male angelfish in my 55gal with no problems. The angel kept to the middle to top of the tank, while the ram kept to the bottom.

10. Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

Some of my RAMS

My little babies. rams 003.jpg rams 004.jpg rams 005.jpg

11. Sweet-lu84 Initiate Member

They are cute, I like them a lot!