Blue Rams Eggs

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by JordanRomero, Apr 25, 2017.

1. JordanRomero

JordanRomeroNew MemberMember

Hello everyone. I was wondering if some of you guys might be able to help me with my rams. It seems they laid new eggs. I don't know much about how to go about but there here. Any advice would be helpful.

Attached Files:

2. wapooshe

wapoosheValued MemberMember

congratulations and Welcome to Fishlore! Hope to see you post a pic of all the cute little fry when they hatch! :) hopefully someone will be able to answer you soon!

3. Kasshan

KasshanWell Known MemberMember

those eggs look white and unfertilized. dont be surprised if they are eaten, theyll try again. fertilized eggs are orange and clear

4. Tiny_Tanganyikans

Tiny_TanganyikansWell Known MemberMember

If the male doesn't eat the eggs within 24 hours you may get fry. If you want to hatch them removing them to a rearing tank or a tumbler is your best chance. They're notoriously bad new parents. Its unusual for captive bred rams to be great parents unless they're the result of good line breeding.

If he does eat them it may take a few times before they're successful. Removing any stress and feeding a good high protein live food helps persuade him not to eat them. My mutt rams usually take 3-4 attempts to be successful

This is correct but they're more of a cream color, kind of like those carmel chews/cow tail candies. (When fertilized)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2017
  5. Kasshan

indeed, my rams laid eggs nite and the idiot male didnt fert them in time, so the female was eating them this morning. give em lots of live blackworms and theyll be ready again within a week perhaps.

6. OP
    OP
    JordanRomero

Thanks for the reply I did notice a few of the eggs being white how ever most seem to be transparent. The male seems to be the one watching over them at this point with the female coming and going. I have a 20 gallon I was thinking about setting up.

7. Kasshan

then that is good news he got there in time, my male was not so diligent. yours look to be the normal coloration, my male is EB and i think he's an idiot when it comes to fatherhood, he has no aggression towards the whitecloud minnows. however, my gold male/EB female have moderate levels of aggression, quick snaps if they get annoyed territorially. what behavior do you observe?

8. OP
    OP
    JordanRomero

Yeah I have a gold male who is the same way. He's harmless just a kinda nippy but has not bother them. The only ones that have been worrisome is my cherry barb,I have 3 of them and don't want them to get to my eggs. I have some shrimp that have been sticking there nose where it doesn't belong but the rams seem to have them covered. I have 4 glass catfish who are just a pleasure to have in my tank. The 4 danios are kind of hard to deal with,they run around the tank not sure what to do with them but I don't think they will affect my rams. I have a black skert tetra who seems fine. Finally I have a Bolivian ram might be the most peacefull fish I have.

9. OP
    OP
    JordanRomero

So i see a few white eggs should I take them out?

10. Kasshan

no leave em, the parents will recognize they are bad and eat them, you want to not disturb or stare too much at the eggs, rams are nervous spawners since they do it in the open, unlike cave spawners. while it is hit or miss, new pairs get confused a lot when becoming new parents, interfering cant help unless you plan on rearing the eggs and yourself, but that is very time intensive for at least a week or two before they are free swimming. I'm far too lazy for that.

11. OP
    OP
    JordanRomero

12. Kasshan

I'm the worst person to ask for advice on frequent water changes since I don't really do them. I use other techniques. I suppose just put your siphon opposite the fish territory? plus I breed my rams in 10gal tanks

13. OP
    OP
    JordanRomero

Well sad new seems like my eggs are gone. Looks like they where eaten.

14. Tiny_Tanganyikans

Tiny_TanganyikansWell Known MemberMember

This is ok, they will breed again and soon, with good conditions and good diet you can expect another clutch in 2-4 weeks. The more they attempt the better. They will eventually get the hang of it. If you notice them chasing/guarding/fanning rhe eggs then you can expect fry. I would prepare while you have the chance for the next attempt

15. OP
    OP
    JordanRomero

Hi every one looks like my rams layer another batch of eggs. Looks like there are twice as many this time. I moved them from my 40 gallon to my smaller 20 gallon tank with my shrimp s that are holding eggs and my danios. Right now my temperature is at about 87f. Its been about a week since my last water change think I might want to do a 25 % water change. I have a piece of driftwood and some java moss in there as well as a couple of live plants.

Attached Files: