Blue Rams Died Within Minutes.

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Jonathan Hemmings, Apr 15, 2018.

1. J

Jonathan Hemmings New Member Member

Hi all.
    We have just set up a new tank and it was setup for about a week.

We went to the local shop to choose some fish and we decided to get 2 blue rams to start with.
    We had the water tested at the shop and it was all spot on so we thought brilliant let's get then rams.

We did everything we was told to do. So the bag with the fish sat in the tank for 20 mins. Then we added some of out tank water to the bag left it another 20 mins. All seems good at this point.

Let the fish free into the tank. They started to swim around. Then started sucking at the top of the water. Then within about 40 minutes they went nuts jumping around banging into the glass and then died.

Could anyone let us know what we have done wrong. We don't want to buy anymore just in case the same thing happens again.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Our tank is a 25l tank with some rocks plants and stones at the bottom. Everything was cleaned with fresh water before it when in.

Kind regards
    Jonathan

2. Puck44

Puck44 Valued Member Member

Have you cycled you’re tank? How did you cycle it?
    Also rams are sometimes sensitive. Good luck!

3. Mcasella

Mcasella Fishlore VIP Member

Your tank is not big enough for very many fish you can get from a standard pet store, a 6 gallon tank allows for many mistakes to happen. Rams need a well seasoned tank (six months running completely cycled) and one that is at least 18 gallons. I would upgrade to a larger tank of you want to keep most pet store fish.

4. mdm2223

mdm2223 Valued Member Member

You should really get the API water test kit. This is a must for checking the parameters of your water. Rams are extremely sensitive and must have specific conditions. Do you know what your Ammonia, nitrite, PH, and nitrates where? Also did you cycle the tank?

5. Mazeus

Mazeus Well Known Member Member

I'm sorry about your fish. It's really heart breaking when you are trying to do the best thing but the local fish store (LFS) are giving you bad advice. I think most people on this site have been in the same position.

6. Georgie Girl

Georgie Girl Valued Member Member

I'm sorry, Jonathan.

7. Ryan P

Ryan P Valued Member Member

Sorry for your loss.
    I agree with the other people, make sure you know about Nitrogen Cycle.
    Also get a test kit it'll be handy specially when you are planning to stick with this hobby.
    and yes Rams are not beginner fish since they are fairly sensitive to water parameters.
    Since you have a small tank it's very prone to parameter swings.
    This forum helped me a lot, so make sure to stick around. Goodluck!

8. Seasoldier

Seasoldier Well Known Member Member

Ammonia poisoning sorry Jonathon, never take anything a pet shop employee tells you as true unless you've shopped there for a long time & trust them, they are after all trying to part you from your money & you really need to get your own test kit (not test strips) so you can check your own water parameters & you need to cycle the tank before adding fish as ammonia & nitrite = dead fish.

9. 2211Nighthawk

2211Nighthawk Fishlore VIP Member

Defiantly something with the water if they were trying to jump out.

10. Snailwhisperer

Snailwhisperer Valued Member Member

I'm sorry for your loss too. It is horrid when you try to be the best fishy-parent and the fish die. I am sure you can figure it out and get a healthy tank up and running.

I agree that you have to be careful with what the pet store employees tell you. I had a woman let me adopt three hamsters and buy 1 cage (they live alone and eat each others if asked to share space - had to buy two more cages) and salt for my snail tank (also would have killed the inhabitants). Luckily I read a lot (unfortunately usually after getting a new pet).

I would suggest doing your own research and getting a test kit.

11. Mazeus

There are also lots of experts on here who could help you stock your 6g or a bigger tank if you upgrade.

12. OP
    OP
    J

Wow thanks for all the replies.
    Our levels are as follows
    Ammonia 0
    Nitrate 0
    PH 7

What would you guys recommend for the size of tank we have. We would like to try the little Blue Rams again in the future but sounds like we need a well seasoned tank first.

Thanks again
    Jonathan

Also Nitrite 0

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2018
  13. M

Mr.Mang09 Valued Member Member

Well you will also need a bigger tank.

14. KimberlyG

KimberlyG Fishlore VIP Member

You should get a 75l if you want the rams. You would have to cycle it and run it with fish in it for about 6 months. Then if all is going well, you can add the rams. The new aquarium problems that always happen should be over by then and the water parameters should be stable. Good luck.

15. OP
    OP
    J

Thanks again for all the replies. Looks like we are definitely not getting rams for this tank then.

What fish would you guys recommend for this tank?

16. M

Mr.Mang09 Valued Member Member

A betta or some shrimp.

17. DarkOne

DarkOne Well Known Member Member

You need to cycle your tank first before getting any fish. Search nitrogen cycle.

Also, did you use water conditioner when you filled the tank?

18. OP
    OP
    J

Yes we did. And added bacteria.

19. Mazeus

There is a list here for 5g (19l) stocking options. Any of these would work in your 27L. Stocking List For 5 Gallon Nano Aquariums.

A betta would be great in that size tank. I am currently cycling a 5g because I decided I wanted a betta, but then my sparkling gourami spawned so now it is a sparkling gourami grow out tank. But it will eventually house a betta.

I keep chili rasbora in my 57L and I would highly recommend them if you enjoy tiny nano fish. A pea (dwarf) puffer could be fun. Loads of fun fish on the list.

20. sloughdog

sloughdog Well Known Member Member

Your tank never cycled. Study fishless cycling and the fishlore community will be more than happy to guide you through. Sorry you received such bad advice and unfortunately it’s all to common from pet stores.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice