Blue Rams Died Within Minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonathan Hemmings

Reaction score
Hi all.
We have just set up a new tank and it was setup for about a week.

We went to the local shop to choose some fish and we decided to get 2 blue rams to start with.
We had the water tested at the shop and it was all spot on so we thought brilliant let's get then rams.

We did everything we was told to do. So the bag with the fish sat in the tank for 20 mins. Then we added some of out tank water to the bag left it another 20 mins. All seems good at this point.

Let the fish free into the tank. They started to swim around. Then started sucking at the top of the water. Then within about 40 minutes they went nuts jumping around banging into the glass and then died.

Could anyone let us know what we have done wrong. We don't want to buy anymore just in case the same thing happens again.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Our tank is a 25l tank with some rocks plants and stones at the bottom. Everything was cleaned with fresh water before it when in.

Kind regards
Jonathan

Mcasella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Your tank is not big enough for very many fish you can get from a standard pet store, a 6 gallon tank allows for many mistakes to happen. Rams need a well seasoned tank (six months running completely cycled) and one that is at least 18 gallons. I would upgrade to a larger tank of you want to keep most pet store fish.

Mazeus

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry about your fish. It's really heart breaking when you are trying to do the best thing but the local fish store (LFS) are giving you bad advice. I think most people on this site have been in the same position.

Ryan P

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Sorry for your loss.
I agree with the other people, make sure you know about Nitrogen Cycle.
Also get a test kit it'll be handy specially when you are planning to stick with this hobby.
and yes Rams are not beginner fish since they are fairly sensitive to water parameters.
Since you have a small tank it's very prone to parameter swings.
This forum helped me a lot, so make sure to stick around. Goodluck!

Seasoldier

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ammonia poisoning sorry Jonathon, never take anything a pet shop employee tells you as true unless you've shopped there for a long time & trust them, they are after all trying to part you from your money & you really need to get your own test kit (not test strips) so you can check your own water parameters & you need to cycle the tank before adding fish as ammonia & nitrite = dead fish.

Snailwhisperer

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I'm sorry for your loss too. It is horrid when you try to be the best fishy-parent and the fish die. I am sure you can figure it out and get a healthy tank up and running.

I agree that you have to be careful with what the pet store employees tell you. I had a woman let me adopt three hamsters and buy 1 cage (they live alone and eat each others if asked to share space - had to buy two more cages) and salt for my snail tank (also would have killed the inhabitants). Luckily I read a lot (unfortunately usually after getting a new pet).

I would suggest doing your own research and getting a test kit.

OP
J

Jonathan Hemmings

Reaction score
Wow thanks for all the replies.
Our levels are as follows
Ammonia 0
Nitrate 0
PH 7

What would you guys recommend for the size of tank we have. We would like to try the little Blue Rams again in the future but sounds like we need a well seasoned tank first.

Thanks again
Jonathan

Also Nitrite 0

Last edited by a moderator:

KimberlyG

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You should get a 75l if you want the rams. You would have to cycle it and run it with fish in it for about 6 months. Then if all is going well, you can add the rams. The new aquarium problems that always happen should be over by then and the water parameters should be stable. Good luck.

OP
J

Jonathan Hemmings

Reaction score
Thanks again for all the replies. Looks like we are definitely not getting rams for this tank then.

What fish would you guys recommend for this tank?

Mazeus

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks again for all the replies. Looks like we are definitely not getting rams for this tank then.

What fish would you guys recommend for this tank?
There is a list here for 5g (19l) stocking options. Any of these would work in your 27L. Stocking List For 5 Gallon Nano Aquariums.

A betta would be great in that size tank. I am currently cycling a 5g because I decided I wanted a betta, but then my sparkling gourami spawned so now it is a sparkling gourami grow out tank. But it will eventually house a betta.

I keep chili rasbora in my 57L and I would highly recommend them if you enjoy tiny nano fish. A pea (dwarf) puffer could be fun. Loads of fun fish on the list.

sloughdog

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Wow thanks for all the replies.
Our levels are as follows
Ammonia 0
Nitrate 0
PH 7

What would you guys recommend for the size of tank we have. We would like to try the little Blue Rams again in the future but sounds like we need a well seasoned tank first.

Thanks again
Jonathan

Also Nitrite 0
Your tank never cycled. Study fishless cycling and the fishlore community will be more than happy to guide you through. Sorry you received such bad advice and unfortunately it’s all to common from pet stores.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom