Blue Ram just hangin/clamped fin

JackieN

Valued Member
Reaction score
Two days ago, I bought two blue rams, one is fine, the other is hanging 2 or 3 inches below the water line, not swimming much, and his tail fin is clamped and there seems to be a bend in his spine just in front of the tailfin. I just did some research but cannot find anything significant.
Water parameters are fine, Nitrites 0, Nitrates 5.0..etc. Any ideas?
Jackie

Stradius011

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
What are the genders?

JackieN

Valued Member
Reaction score
Stradius011 said:
What are the genders?
I really don't know at this point, I tried to pick smaller ones, this is the larger of the two. It has some pink on the bottom of it's belly so maybe a female? But she's only a little over an inch, maybe 1.5inches.
Jackie

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yes females have a little pink or violet on their bellies.
Do they have access to some quiet areas? lots of hiding places? When was the last water change done? Rams are a really sensitive fish, although your readings look good the TDS ( total disolved solids) can be up a little if a water change hasn't been done recently.
Your tank looks a little over stocked.
I do like your selection of fish and the tank sounds really active.
Carol

JackieN

Valued Member
Reaction score
Butterfly said:
Yes females have a little pink or violet on their bellies.
Do they have access to some quiet areas? lots of hiding places? When was the last water change done? Rams are a really sensitive fish, although your readings look good the TDS ( total disolved solids) can be up a little if a water change hasn't been done recently.
Your tank looks a little over stocked.
I do like your selection of fish and the tank sounds really active.
Carol
Hi Carol..yes it is overstocked..when we bought the new 28 gal tank, we bought a few extra fish..6 total, including two of Blue Rams, we were going to stock the new tank with some from the 36 gal tank when it finishes cycling. Then the husband decides he likes cichlids..the smaller ones..so now I'm not sure what to do. I was going to put the zebra danio's into the new tank, I'm cycling it with used cycled gravel and some water. So..it should be ok.
I haven't done a water change since last Friday or so..since the tank just finished cyclyling.and I don't want to upset any balance for now.
As for the sick Ram..he's in my lil 5 gal tank, I put some meds in..he was floating upside down, laying on the bottom upside down, but now..he/she is right side up, laying on the bottom. I'm hoping IT will pull thru..he/she.
Yes I have a lot of motion going on in my tank..LOL..would you know if any of my listed fish would be ok with smaller cichlids?
Jackie

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
What are you treating the Ram for and what meds are you using?
I don't know about the Rainbows but I had Rams in with danios and they did fine. Rams appreciate plants and lots of places to hide, flat rocks to lay eggs on and a substrate fine enough to dig pits in for their fry.
Carol

Stradius011

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I think I read that you should have a lot of hiding places for the female for retreat from the male..

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Stradius011 -Yep your exactly right.
JackieN - I also had forgottten that they need to be in trios(1 male 2 females) to spread the loving attentions out do you think the male could have been chasing her quite alot? Although I'm not recommending you get more at this point
Carol

JackieN

Valued Member
Reaction score
Butterfly said:
What are you treating the Ram for and what meds are you using?
I don't know about the Rainbows but I had Rams in with danios and they did fine. Rams appreciate plants and lots of places to hide, flat rocks to lay eggs on and a substrate fine enough to dig pits in for their fry.
Carol
I was using Pima Fix and Melafix, and for awhile I thought she was doing better..but later last night..she died. I tried my best..but I probably waited too long to get her out.
What would happen if I didn't have a fine substrate for a Blue Ram. I have some hidey caves..but am using larger gravel/rocks for the substrate? I still have one blue ram in my 36 gal. tank..not sure if I should leave it there or switch it.
Jackie

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'm sorry you lost you fish, still not sure what you were treating it for.
It won't hurt to have a larger gravel I was just saying they prefer a small grain substrate to dig pits in for their fry. They usually lay their eggs on flat rocks then move their fry to pits because its easier to protect them.
Carol

JackieN

Valued Member
Reaction score
Butterfly said:
I'm sorry you lost you fish, still not sure what you were treating it for.
It won't hurt to have a larger gravel I was just saying they prefer a small grain substrate to dig pits in for their fry. They usually lay their eggs on flat rocks then move their fry to pits because its easier to protect them.
Carol
Hi Carol..I wasn't sure what I was treating her for either..but..once in the small tank, I noticed her fins were a little ragged..not sure if they were bitten or it was fin rot. There were no other obvious signs, other than lethargy, and eventually, not being able to swim right, and laying on the bottom.
Thanks..Jackie

JackieN

Valued Member
Reaction score
Stradius011 said:
I think I read that you should have a lot of hiding places for the female for retreat from the male..
Since they were small yet..I assume breeding would not be a problem yet???? I have two new ones, in my 28 gal tank..and I think one is a female, but they are in hiding right now. I do have it planted with live plants, two different cave type areas which may be too small once they get bigger, and I'll change them out. I have one ram left in my larger tank..not sure if I'll transfer him over to the 28 gal. one. I'm waiting on that decision, he's tiny yet, not sure what sex either.
Thank you...Jackie

JackieN

Valued Member
Reaction score
Butterfly said:
Stradius011 -Yep your exactly right.
JackieN - I also had forgottten that they need to be in trios(1 male 2 females) to spread the loving attentions out do you think the male could have been chasing her quite alot? Although I'm not recommending you get more at this point
Carol
Well..I brought the one who died back today..in the middle of a Nor'Easter here in NC..and bought one extra, besides the replacement Ram, they are in my 28 gal. tank. The original small one, is still in the 36 gal tank. If these guys don't make it for whatever reason, that will be my last foray into Blue Rams, I may not have the "right" touch for them. But I'm gonna give it my best shot.
Thank you... Jackie

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good luck Jackie! Hope these do better. Since the tanks are overstocked keep a close eye on them as they are very sensitive.
Carol

JackieN

Valued Member
Reaction score
Butterfly said:
Good luck Jackie! Hope these do better. Since the tanks are overstocked keep a close eye on them as they are very sensitive.
Carol
Hi Carol..I moved some fish out of my 36 gal tank, as per my signature, I am monitoring water conditions every other day, so far both tanks are Nitrites 0, Nitrates in the 36 gal are 5.0, haven't tested the 28 but I think they are fine for the moment. I have both tanks planted with live plants and will be adding some more to the 36 gal. tank.
If I had the room..I'd add another tank, but I just can't do it..I literally have no place to put it without removing some furniture, which I'm not sure "the husband" would appreciate. LOL
I will monitor my tanks carefully, I may have to return my rainbow shark, he's starting to chase my other fish in the 36 gal tank, we'll see.
Jackie

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sounds good Jackie
As for furniture let me tell you a very funny story.I have no furniture in my living room just tanks and two plastic chairs so we can move them to watch whichever tanks we want to. This came about because my husband and son went to dispose of this horrid couch we had and while they were gone my Bro.-in-law gave me a tank and stand that fit in its place jsut perfectly My husband tells everybody I made him throw out the couch so I could put a new tank in LOL
Carol

JackieN

Valued Member
Reaction score
Re: Blue Ram etc./Carol

Butterfly said:
Sounds good Jackie
As for furniture let me tell you a very funny story.I have no furniture in my living room just tanks and two plastic chairs so we can move them to watch whichever tanks we want to. This came about because my husband and son went to dispose of this horrid couch we had and while they were gone my Bro.-in-law gave me a tank and stand that fit in its place jsut perfectly My husband tells everybody I made him throw out the couch so I could put a new tank in LOL
Carol
Hi Carol..sorry I'm late..the day after Thanksgiving, this laptop crashed. I have 3 desktop pc's, but I spent 2 days trying to get it up and running again..finally yesterday..I did..I lost a bunch of stuff..including all my bookmarks, including tons of fish sites..Waaaaaaa.
That's funny, about your sofa/tanks. We just moved in here 2 years ago..don't think THE HUSBAND is ready to get rid of our "stuff" yet. LOL I really do wish we had room for a big tank, like I used to have in NJ. Waaaaaaaaaaaa.. LOL
Well..we took the recently departed Blue Ram back..but I didn't buy any more from them. Went to Petsmart and found a small Oto..and put him in. I'm using algae wafers till I get some good algae going. So I have 1 ram left in my 36 gal, and 1 ram in my 28 gal. I don't want to move either one..till I see how they're doing.
Hope you had a nice holiday.
Jackie

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom