Blue Ram Cichlids and Kribinses Cichlids have both laid eggs in my 55 gallon tan Question

1. cfowler08 Initiate Member

I have a pair of german blue rams that I just got about a week ago, and they have laid eggs on a flat piece of driftwood I had in my 55 gallon tank. Within an hour of them laying eggs My Kribinsis Cichlids Laid eggs in the back corner behind some bamboo in a hole they dug out in the gravel. I had done some Research, and was surprised that the Kribinsis laid eggs without a cave or covering to go in. I moved the driftwood with the Rams eggs on it to the opposite side of the tank, because the cichlids and the rams were too close in proximity and were being very aggresive towards each other. The Rams are both staying with their eggs, and the Kribinsis are taking turns guarding their eggs and wondering the tank. I have done some research on keeping both fry alive if they hatch and live, but is it going to cause too much aggression in my tank to have 2 pairs of cichlids with fry in one tank? the only other fish I have in this tank is 2 angelfish, 3 little glolight danios, and 5 cory catfish. It is a 55 gallon long, so the fish with eggs are pretty far from each other. I am a beginner when it comes to fish tanks and I was certainly not ready to have a bunch of little fish fry in my tank!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

2. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

All you need next is for the angelfish to spawn & you'd have world war 3 in your tank! ;D
    Hopefully in your large tank there's enough room for your rams & kribs to have their separate territories & keep any aggression to a minimum.
    Trouble may start when the fry are free swimming & get bigger & start exploring, I wouldn't expect many, if any to survive in a community tank especially with angels in the mix.
    Good luck, hope some make it :)

3. cfowler08 Initiate Member

I have a 2.5 gallon tank that is empty at the moment. Would it be possible or beneficial to move the Rams and their fry into the 2.5 gallon tank until they grow a little to keep the babies safe?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

4. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

I wouldn't move them, especially into such a small tank.
    If this spawn doesn't work out they will spawn again & you could maybe think about getting a spare 10-15 gallon tank to raise them in