Blue Ram Aggression

1. Emergency90 Initiate Member

A little background...

I had a M/F GBR combo in my tank that had apparently paired off and dug a few pits but never spawned. The female became sick and died despite my best attempts to help her (she was bloated, water was pristine and water changes did not help). I decided that I'd like to attempt to get him paired off again, so I grabbed 3 females from the LFS today and added them to the tank. The male immediately was hostile with one of them, who fought back viciously enough to damage one of his pectorals. They lip locked and head butted aggressively. I netted the female and put her in a floating breeder. After this the male chased the other two but never attacked them, however, I was crious to see if he was the problem. I've since released the female and put the male in the breeder. The 3 females seem happy, but the one aggressive one is definitely chasing the other two a little bit, but no lip locking or attacks.

My question is what to do now? Is he being aggressive because he's been in the tank longer? Will he not pair up again now that his mate died? I wonder if the best course of action is to get him back to the store ASAP and get another male before the females establish themselves in the tank? Tank is 29g heavily heavily planted with lots of driftwood, rocks, and caves - plenty of room to establish diferent territories.

2. bNissan Member Member

I have read that people rearrange the decorations in their tank to disrupt the tank in order to attempt solving aggression issues. It is like a whole new tank for its inhabitants and they need to establish new boundaries.

As always, your mileage may vary.

3. JesseMoreira06 Well Known Member Member

are you sure it was a female and not a male you may have gotten?
  4. Blue Bea Member Member

I was just going to ask that. Also, how big is the tank?

I would think that he will pair up again given time and an acceptable (to him) female.