Important Blue Powder Gourami Problem

Dameon

Reaction score
image.jpg

My Blue Powdered Gourami usual activity is staying at the bottom of the tank, it usually looks like he lays on the gravel but standing up. I don’t really know if that’s even normal behavior for a male blue powdered Gourami. But today I removed one of my plants and he’s been at the top of the tank.
image.jpg

Noroomforshoe

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Gourami are typically top dwelling fish. The dwarf, the 3 spot and its color morps, the pearl and the moonlight are normally at the top more then anywere else in the tank.
Do you mean that it is in normal fish position, like in the picture, but near the gravel? not laying sideways or with his nose up right? Just kind of hovering near the gravel?
Somtimes individual fish act in unexpected ways. how long have you had it? why did you remove his plant? Is it eating?
In the second picture it looks like your tank is only have full. Are you keeping a half full tank? The current might have scared/disturbed him into hiding. The angel fish may have scared it into hiding as well, gourami and angel fish are not really a good match, as they are both territorial top dwellers.

OP
Dameon

Dameon

Reaction score
Aquashrimp42 said:
What are your aquarium parameters, ammonia, nitrates...? How many and what types of fish are in what size of tank?
Additional information it’s a 10 gallon tank with a hang on back filter, I have around 3 plants in it but I recently took one out. I have one blue powdered Gourami, 3 glass catfish and 2 angel fish. I feed them once a day and I recently ran out of testing strips so I’ll have to get some more today, once I get them and test the fish then I’ll come back and notify you of more information on the tank and it’s stats

OP
Dameon

Dameon

Reaction score
Noroomforshoe said:
Gourami are typically top dwelling fish. The dwarf, the 3 spot and its color morps, the pearl and the moonlight are normally at the top more then anywere else in the tank.
Do you mean that it is in normal fish position, like in the picture, but near the gravel? not laying sideways or with his nose up right? Just kind of hovering near the gravel?
Somtimes individual fish act in unexpected ways. how long have you had it? why did you remove his plant? Is it eating?
In the second picture it looks like your tank is only have full. Are you keeping a half full tank? The current might have scared/disturbed him into hiding. The angel fish may have scared it into hiding as well, gourami and angel fish are not really a good match, as they are both territorial top dwellers.
As for the Angel fish and the Gourami combo they were great when they first were introduced I’ve had the blue Gourami before anything else in the tank. When the angel fish arrived all they did was follow the Gourami around they didn’t harm it at all, they stopped doing that a while ago

OP
Dameon

Dameon

Reaction score
Dameon said:
image.jpg

My Blue Powdered Gourami usual activity is staying at the bottom of the tank, it usually looks like he lays on the gravel but standing up. I don’t really know if that’s even normal behavior for a male blue powdered Gourami. But today I removed one of my plants and he’s been at the top of the tank.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Update Blue Gourami: he’s leaning to the side now, its 5 and the fish are usually sleep at this time or atleast roaming around the tank, the blue Gourami is leaning to its side now and I’m not sure if this is normal behavior of a blue powdered Gourami
image.jpg

Roboticsbede

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Dameon said:
image.jpg
image.jpg

Update Blue Gourami: he’s leaning to the side now, its 5 and the fish are usually sleep at this time or atleast roaming around the tank, the blue Gourami is leaning to its side now and I’m not sure if this is normal behavior of a blue powdered Gourami
image.jpg
Is he breathing heavily? If so, I've had this problem before with my betta, but I'm not sure whether would it work, but what I did was a 80% water change till my betta still had water, and then add aquarium salt.

OP
Dameon

Dameon

Reaction score
I have 10 gallon tank, I have 6 fish 2 angel fish 3 glass catfish and the blue Gourami. Hang on back filter, 2 plants (recently took out one of them since they were taking up a lot of space in the tank. I have a heater that goes automatically to 75 degrees.

Im concerned since my blue powdered Gourami swim occasionally then falls to the floor. I’m guessing this is fish bladder disease but I’m still not sure on how to even treat that also. Can I get help as soon as possible

image.jpg

image.jpg

LadfromLondon

Well Known
Reaction score
I’m not experienced with Gourami’s, but I’m pretty sure the first thing anyone will say is 2 Angels do not belong in a 10G!

trinity28

Reaction score
Your tank is much too small for glass catfish too. Those need a school and at least 30 gallons. Your gourami is probably stressed if he’s in a 10 gallon with those other fish and one plant. He has no hiding places.

Shambhalaubie

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I have recently learned myself there are various types of gourami fish. I also found out mine is a three spot, and I could be wrong (someone can correct me if I am), but I am not sure yours is a powder blue gourami.. not sure but he seems very grey for a blue gourami...

And they need a lot more space than 10 gallons. Especially with what you already have in your aquarium, you are likely well above max capacity. I had to upgrade from my 10 gallon recently to a 36 gallon to accommodate for my gourami and his potential aquarium mates. I would suggest looking into a larger one as well, and perhaps dosing Seachem Stability to try and help your gourami deal with the stress. I used some on mine, and it seems to be working. Here is a photo of my gourami for reference.

Attachments

bwer2

Reaction score
That stocking should be in a 55G
One angel could pass in a 30G but even that’s pushing it

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
This fish is on its way out. Personally I wouldn't let it suffer any longer.

Please reconsider your stocking.
It is.partly off topuc but keeping Angels in a 10G isn't a good idea (even still small) and can have added to the issue with the Gourami (though those are of a terrible quality nowadays)

OJteddy0824

Reaction score
I had a powder blue that was king of the floating plants. He wouldnt let any fish steal his prime spot at the top. I've had several Gourami and when they would sit at the bottom it was because they were stressed/ hiding/ unhappy. I'd be worried about housing the angels and Gourami in such a small tank as others have said. He may have been stressed maybe not by agression... But just not having a territory to call his own. Hows he doing now?

New Threads