Blue Powder Gourami help required

FunnyFish
HI there, I am new to this forum and need some more recent help

I have 3 powder blue DG, 2 males and 1 female. I had the 3 of them in a community tank (20G) with some bleeding heart tetra, red eye tetra and black phantom. They were doing great and all very compatible. I upgraded my tank to a 33G and now I bully male, chasing the other male, harassing the female and other fish...literally darting after them from across the tank. I have removed the bully, but the other male still attacks the female chasing her away if she gets too close.

I'm frustrated that the pet store allowed me to buy these if this is what can happen, but now I'm not sure what I should do. I've tried to rearrange the tank and all my plants are tall. Will the male and female learn to get along? Do I get rid of the bully in the separate tank? (It's not large enough to keep him there permanently) Or should I be getting rid of the female too? Any help is appreciated.

Tank info:
33G - 2 filters (50 and 70G)
3 bleeding heart
2 DG
2 black skirt
1 phantom
3 red eye

Greenplant
First of all the Pet Stores either Petco or Petsmart or you LFS will sell you anything to sell. The best to do is besides research is come here and ask questions. What I was sold in the beginning was flat out I don't care what you buy as long as you buy.

IMO I would re-home one male because one of the males if together will die. Been there done that. Then for the other male add one or two more females and things should be good. I had what you have and now I have one Blue Power Dwaft Gourami doing great. They also like like some plants floating. He'll be Happy Happy Happy with some floaters. That's him my avatar. Can't really see the beautiful blue but that's my guy.

Edit: One thing I forgot is you have tetras in your tank and there schooling/shoaling fish and should be kept at min of 6 so you tank needs some restocking help. Maybe your best move would be rehome the female also and just kept the one male this way you can add to your tetras. But one thing at a time give us an Idea what you'll like to keep.

Pente85Camino
DG do good with a 1 male to 2 female ratio. In a larger (90g+), heavily planted tank, you could possibly have another 1 male and 2 female set. What do you still have in the 20 gallon tank? How quickly did you move the fish to the 33g? Was it a new setup or were there fish already in the 33g? How long ago was the transfer? If there were a lot of changes that quickly happened, the fish could be stressed out.

FunnyFish
Thanks for the info, I didn't read up enough on them as I was replacing blue electric rams that they sold me sick and both died within 4 days. It's also hard to Google and find exactly what you're looking for, so I'm glad I've found this forum.

I have the room so I will add another female or 2 and see what happens. I just feel bad for my current female who's scared fish less to say the least (lol). Do they need to be blue powder females, or could they be any female DG?

Pente85Camino
It is better to keep with the same Powder Blue.

Greenplant
FunnyFish

Please check my Edit on my post and tell us what you would really like and you'll get the best help possible. I was you 9 months ago now stress free with 3 tanks and loving every minute.

FunnyFish
, my comment got deleted when I tried to edit it. Grr to the mobile phone.

I don't want to overstock, so the plan was to have a couple more phantom as they seem to school with the black skirts and 2 more red eye and fix my gourami problem.

As for the tank question asked, I moved them relatively quickly to the 30g. The rest of my tetra are awesome, doing great and no issues. The tank readings have been all great and no issues, it was just the DG that all of a sudden became hats lol.

Pente85Camino
FunnyFish

Please check my Edit on my post and tell us what you would really like and you'll get the best help possible. I was you 9 months ago now stress free with 3 tanks and loving every minute.

Good info, plus having the one DG will allow him to stand out more and will be very eye catching in the tank!

Jaxsco
I would only have 1 DG so you can up the tetra school to proper levels.

FunnyFish
Thanks Pente85Camino, I figured as much to keep the same. See I was told that the blue powder or red could go together no problems at all. And this is with someone who had "fish experience". I originally brought back 2 dead blue electric rams that they sold me sick and died in 3 days. This was my exchange.

Pente85Camino
Sorry that you have had so many issues getting started. Stick around and we will help you. Welcome to Fishlore.com!!!

FunnyFish
Thank you so much. I'm glad I found you guys and appreciate all the help. I just want happy, healthy fish I can enjoy. No more tanks allowed the hubby says so it's just this one to work with

Greenplant
Thank you so much. I'm glad I found you guys and appreciate all the help. I just want happy, healthy fish I can enjoy. No more tanks allowed the hubby says so it's just this one to work with

Yes, sorry Welcome and don't worry about hubby he'll be asking for another before you know it. MTS gets us all.

FunnyFish
Hahaha, he makes fun of me now but I love it so I don't care

Greenplant, you mentioned the restocking and I replied to you. What do you guys recommend?

Greenplant
Hahaha, he makes fun of me now but I love it so I don't care

Greenplant, you mentioned the restocking and I replied to you. What do you guys recommend?

First I love Tetras that's what I mainly have with a center fish like the DG. You have a 33g what are the measurements or footprint as they say.

Now remember this is me I like two different types of schoolers or schoalers preferably 6 who like the top or middle to top and 6 that like the middle and some cories for the bottom. This way you try to avoid the traffic jams.
I had Black shirts and they school nicely bottom to middle more middle though. know they are a messy fish. The bleeding hearts and red eyes are nice but if you can put a picture up of your tank or tell us what colors you like or are using we can go from there. This way with a proper diet and vitamins
there colors will pop with your substrate and decore. So lets take our time your only going with the one tank and lets see if we can't inpress hubby into another

FunnyFish

I'm not familiar with a 33g but lets say you have a 33g long which is 48" x12"x12" I could be mistaken or you could have something different.

with this I believe you can do

10 Bleeding heart Tetras
10 Red Eye Tetras
10 Peppered Cories
1 Dwaft Gourmani

That's just an example

try this site it's not perfect but it helps.
also this site

They should help some. remember to check temps also. The red eye has a nice range while the bleeding heart needs it a little cooler. Talk soon and Good Luck

FunnyFish
First I love Tetras that's what I mainly have with a center fish like the DG. You have a 33g what are the measurements or footprint as they say.

Now remember this is me I like two different types of schoolers or schoalers preferably 6 who like the top or middle to top and 6 that like the middle and some cories for the bottom. This way you try to avoid the traffic jams.
I had Black shirts and they school nicely bottom to middle more middle though. know they are a messy fish. The bleeding hearts and red eyes are nice but if you can put a picture up of your tank or tell us what colors you like or are using we can go from there. This way with a proper diet and vitamins
there colors will pop with your substrate and decore. So lets take our time your only going with the one tank and lets see if we can't inpress hubby into another

So here is the skinny:

Measurements are 36Wx12.5Lx18H

I find the red eye, phantom and black skirts like middle to top, the bleeding heart tend to like bottom to middle and my DG are just everywhere, although they are quick the pigs and seem to pick everything off the substrate. This must be why my ammonia levels are always 0. (BTW, since moving my bully out of the tank, the m/f DG's are getting along after a couple of hours, swimming and eating by each other with no chasing.. hopefully that keeps up)

I really do like the skirts and bleeding hearts, the candy cane ones are also quite pretty and colourful and if they will school together, I would get those, but I want to make sure my tank is proper and healthy first.

Diet: I have flakes, pellets, frozen bloodworms and frozen veggie blocks with brine in them as well. The DG's eat it all (piggies), the red eye and skirt like the worms and that's it and no one cares about the veggies. The bleeding heart don't really care about anything but flakes. I have just started about 2 weeks ago with the frozen stuff though.

The substrate is bright. I have pink, purple, blue, orange and red and all plants are silk except for the one. The decor is all mostly neutral. I figured it was easier to keep what I had instead of buy all new (expensive hobby lol). I have 2 filters in my tank, both aquaclear, a 50 and a 70 and one air pump with lots of hiding spaces as you will see below.

If we can impress him into another, I am down for it. I may need to sell furniture for it to happen

image.jpg

Greenplant
I love it, beautiful and it sounds like your on your way to beautiful Healthy fish.
I asked the wife if we could sell the spare bedroom furniture
and make it a fish room. I told her family usually stays a hotels and her sister bought a place in Florida and doesn't come much anymore my wife goes there. She's not going for it But I'm not giving up

Good Luck take care and if you need help in stocking there's a stocking section where you'll get good advice if needed but it sounds like your on your way.

FunnyFish
I love it, beautiful and it sounds like your on your way to beautiful Healthy fish.
I asked the wife if we could sell the spare bedroom furniture
and make it a fish room. I told her family usually stays a hotels and her sister bought a place in Florida and doesn't come much anymore my wife goes there. She's not going for it But I'm not giving up

Good Luck take care and if you need help in stocking there's a stocking section where you'll get good advice if needed but it sounds like your on your way.

Thank you all so much for your input and advice. It is super appreciated. I hope you get your fish room too. How cool, I am rooting for ya! arty0011:

@

I'm not familiar with a 33g but lets say you have a 33g long which is 48" x12"x12" I could be mistaken or you could have something different.

with this I believe you can do

10 Bleeding heart Tetras
10 Red Eye Tetras
10 Peppered Cories
1 Dwaft Gourmani

That's just an example

try this site it's not perfect but it helps.
also this site

They should help some. remember to check temps also. The red eye has a nice range while the bleeding heart needs it a little cooler. Talk soon and Good Luck

I am looking and I am surprised I can stock so much in my tank. Since I already have specific tetra, I will need to work with those guys, but I will be on my way soon enough

x

Greenplant
According to thethis would put you at 92% stocked and your filteration is fine. Now there's some very good people here and that was just an example. with a Top Middle and bottom fish. The site is useful in pointing you in the right direction. I wouldn't swear by everything it says but I enjoy tinkering with it and there's always the question of compatibility of the fish you would like.

But when your ready put your ideas up in the stocking section and get some opinions and of course your the final say. I was a mess 9 months ago and received some great advice and now find the hobby very relaxing and enjoying it very much. Things will happen from time to time but there's people here with a solution to every problem. Don't forget fill out your profile people do look and it's inportant if quick help is needed. Take care.

Edit: So after assuming it was a 48"W I went back with your footprint and you can do 8 of everything and be 99% stocked with very good filtration and a 32% weekly WC.
Just as an example. When you get a minute check this out QT it really is needed if it can be done and it saved me recently after a bout of ICK.

FunnyFish
Greenplant I ended up having to re-home both the bully male and the fake the next day. The male I have left in my tank made it appear he was going to play nice, but didn't afterall. He kept the female hidden all day in the same spot.

It appears he is happy on his own, even schooling with my tetra back and forth lol.

I will never make this mistake again. I'm just happy both other fish are doing great in their new homes

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
DoubleDutch
Replies
Views
Katona
Replies
Views
jdhef
Replies
Views