Blue Oscar

Robes

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I was out of town last week and decided to go to a fish store there to see the sights, and came across something i had never seen in person before, a "blue oscar". I know some years back these were a topic going around because of how they were created. I'm just wondering if somewhere somebody has bred in blue enough to get them out into circulation or if this was one of those poor dyed fish?

NC122606

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Robes said:
I was out of town last week and decided to go to a fish store there to see the sights, and came across something i had never seen in person before, a "blue oscar". I know some years back these were a topic going around because of how they were created. I'm just wondering if somewhere somebody has bred in blue enough to get them out into circulation or if this was one of those poor dyed fish?
Was it pure blue or spotted blue? If it was then maybe it was Jack Dempsey and Oscar Hybrid, I am just saying they look pretty cool.

Robes

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
NC122606 said:
Was it pure blue or spotted blue? If it was then maybe it was Jack Dempsey and Oscar Hybrid, I am just saying they look pretty cool.
No it wasn't spotted, my phone was dead at the time or i would have a picture. Think an albino tiger oscar and replace the white with light blue, red still being there.

Robes

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
coralbandit said:
My understanding is they are albinos dyed ?
That was the practice, i just hadn't heard or seen anything about it in many years and wondered if blue had gotten bred into oscars naturally (or as natural as color breeding is i guess)

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I would think if blue was a legit color variation it would be pretty popular news .
Oscars are pretty popular fish .
And blue is the hottest fresh water color next to black !

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom