Blue or black background: which looks better?

Discussion in 'Polls' started by Everythingzen, Jan 3, 2013.

?

Best background colour?

1. Blue

36.4%
  2. Black

63.6%
  1. Everythingzen

EverythingzenWell Known MemberMember

I'm about to put up a background but am not sure which side will look the best. I want the tank to be bright and clear looking. It's a dull kind of blah at the moment because of a 3d polystyrene sheet that is sitting behind it. This suggests the blue would look good, but I've also seen some stellar black backgrounds that make a tank look so sleek and clean. If it matters, the gravel is natural, it's planted, has driftwood, and has patches of sanded areas.

I'm also probably going to use some on my new shrimp tank. It's planted and has that shrimp substrate in chocolate/poo brown. They are rcs, so I want them to be highlighted as much as possible. It's got a very good led light that will light it up even more with a back on it. I suppose black is going to show more? This is a little tank anyway so it can be changed, but the other is a 4 foot so I'd like it to be right first off.

2. CichlidnutFishlore VIPMember

I've got a tank with blue and a tank with black. I like the blue better.

3. kinezumi89

kinezumi89Fishlore VIPMember

I've always liked black. Here are two of my tanks with black backgrounds.

Attached Files:

4. cichlidman

cichlidmanWell Known MemberMember

i second the blue.

5. AlanGreeneWell Known MemberMember

I prefer black myself

6. AlanGreeneWell Known MemberMember

Liking those tanks! black sand/gravel looks really well with the green plants

7. AquariaUK

AquariaUKValued MemberMember

Blue is brighter, but black can look better in good lighting. It won't look as good at night whereas blue can look better from my experience.

8. Aquarist

AquaristFishlore LegendMember

Good morning,

I've tried both the blue and black backgrounds and I've stuck with the black on both of my tanks. I think the black helps to give the tank more depth. :)

Ken

9. OP
    OP
    Everythingzen

EverythingzenWell Known MemberMember

I've had blue before and it was great, especially with white sand. This tank doesn't have the same tropical island feel to it though. I suppose I could stop being lazy and just pick one and change it around later if I really don't like it, lol. I just can't help but fear black will be too gloomy. Also, the blue backing is a lot darker than many blue backgrounds. It's almost got a midnight blue/metallicness to it. It's odd.

10. tommy jr.Valued MemberMember

I always use black on all my tanks. Really makes plants and fish "pop".
    Really dark blue sometimes looks okay but IMO blue only looks good in SW set ups.
    Just my opinion however.

If you are unsure, buy some cheap posterboard (black and blue) and slide it behind your tank. It should be enough to give you an idea.

HTH

11. 3aquariumsValued MemberMember

I couldn't decide either, so I tried both. Two look better black and one with blue.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice