Question Blue Mystery Snails

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaniceSnail

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
i would like to know how the color blue became a color for mystery snails? The color is more gray than blue. My blue snails to me are not the color blue. And I bought them and know he is a good seller.

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Yeah, it's not really blue, but with most animals, a bluish slate gray is considered blue (not for fish and birds though, but think like blue cats). Basically, mystery snails have just a few primary genetic traits that get passed on, namely foot color, shell color, shell pigment, and stripes or lack thereof. Blue is simply a mystery snail with a dark foot and an ivory shell. Dark foot is dominant, while ivory shells (no color) are recessive. Don't know if they is exactly what you're looking for, lol.

Also, you could always try and start a selective breeding trial to get the bluest of blue mystery snails

Last edited by a moderator:

philip884551

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Blue mystery snails are just ivory with a dark body it's the dark body what makes the snail shell look blue

JaniceSnail

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
First time I got babies from Mystery Snails I purchased. Not positive but do blue Mystery Snails ever have a light foot cause I might have some. I purchased blues but they have dark foot.

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
First time I got babies from Mystery Snails I purchased. Not positive but do blue Mystery Snails ever have a light foot cause I might have some. I purchased blues but they have dark foot.
Blue mystery snails have a dark foot and light shell. The dark foot through the white shell is supposed to look blueish.
If it's a white shell with white foot, it's called an ivory snail. If it's yellow, its a golden mystery snail/ gold Inca.

JaniceSnail

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Ok then I guess it can’t be a blue snail then. Have to wait and see what this snail will be.

JaniceSnail

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
View attachment 503262 this a jade. Black foot and gold shell.
I know the colors. I was asking about this baby snail. I thought it might be blue. But guess not as it has a light foot. Maybe this is not a light foot. I just don’t see it as dark

View attachment 503261 there are blues, golds, ivory. I breed them. I also have some Jade's.
I know the colors. Just first time having babies born. So not sure about a couple of them. I thought they were blue but maybe not.

I know the colors. Just first time having babies born. So not sure about a couple of them. I thought they were blue but maybe not.
Here’s a better pic. Not sure what color they are.

Attachments

philip884551

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I breed magenta and dark foot purples the dark foot purples parents was a magenta and a blue I've only got one blue left I'm hoping to get some blue babies from the dark foot purples as their will have the blue gene in them

Attachments

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
It only takes a month or so for them to develop their shell color and foot color, so whatever it is now determined the type. The only exception is wilds and jades, those look the same for about three months. I can't tell from the pic real well, but they look like they have dark feet (?) But I'm not sure of the shell color

JaniceSnail

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Blue mystery snails are just ivory with a dark body it's the dark body what makes the snail shell look blue
Wow did not know that.

It only takes a month or so for them to develop their shell color and foot color, so whatever it is now determined the type. The only exception is wilds and jades, those look the same for about three months. I can't tell from the pic real well, but they look like they have dark feet (?) But I'm not sure of the shell color
What are wilds? Are they mystery snails?

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
What are wilds? Are they mystery snails?
Yes, sorry for lack of clarification. Wild colored mystery snails, also called black mystery snails, are the color pattern that mystery snails have inbthe wild. It's a dark brown multistriped shell color with a dark foot, while Jade is a dark green/brown shell with a dark foot, so when they're young, it's really hard to tell them apart. There is also purple, which is ivory and purple striped shell with a dark foot, and magenta, which is ivory and purple striped shell with a light colored foot. There are some odds and ends, but blue, black, ivory, magenta, purple, and jade are the most common, even though magenta and Jade can get a bit rare every now and then. I even saw someone with little "peppermint" ones, with pink/red and ivory striped shells and light feet, but those are going to be basically impossible to find.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 24 25.5%
  • No

Votes: 8 8.5%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 62 66.0%

Top Bottom