blue mystery snail questions

Discussion in 'Snails' started by redlessi, Mar 31, 2010.

1. redlessi

redlessi Well Known Member Member

I recently got 2 blue mystery snails and they dont move much at all. The one I put in my 35 gallon tank keeps ending up floating right near the filter's output flow. I caught it with my net and dropped in on the other side of the tank.

They seem to spend all of their time inside the shells.......:;dk is this normal??

2. rainman

rainman Well Known Member Member

This is normal for the first few weeks. Just keep an :;eye on him.

3. Butterfly

Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

After mine acclimated they started going everywhere :) Try a piece of zuchinni, mine swarm to it .
    carol

4. Treefork

Treefork Well Known Member Member

Mine are constantly on the move, I had one floating in the water the other day and I turned his shell upside down and air bubbles came out then I put him back down and he took off again. Somehow got a little too much air in his shell opening or something. Gas 'im and go. :)

5. OP
    OP
    redlessi

Ok so now one of them is floating, I tried to put it down but it wont stay down??

6. Treefork

try turning it upside down and see if any air bubbles come out. Move it around in the water a bit. Mine was floating with too much air, I moved it, air came out and flooooop down he went.

7. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning,

I don't recommend forcing your snail to sink. If they are floating then chances are it's because they want to float or go parasnailing around the tank in the current. Snails need time to acclimate to their environment just as fish do. Give them time. :)

Ken

8. Butterfly

Mine float a little each day it seems. You will know it's dead if you sniff it other wise a little acclimation time is called for I think.
    carol

9. Treefork

I didn't force him to sink. I simply turned him upside down and he released air in his shell. He wasn't up for oxygen, he was floating in the middle of the tank. It didn't do him any harm.

10. Furallicah

Furallicah Well Known Member Member

My mysteries like to sail the waters too. I'll put all three of my snails into my 25gal for a few days to clean up any algae and most of the time they will just float around on the currents...its so cute....lol

11. Betta Whisperer

Betta Whisperer Well Known Member Member

Are you sure the one floating is alive? To check this pick it up and tap lightly on the door. If it pulls in a little it's alive. If there is no movement then it's probably dead. Also the larger mature ones can stay in one place for weeks sometimes. I had some in my pond that I thought were dead because they didn't move for about a week then all of a sudden it was in a different place.

12. OP
    OP
    redlessi

I checked and its definitely alive. I keep finding it floating in the out put of the filter flow. I tried turning it upside down and moving it but its like it cant go down. I move it to the plants and after a while its back in front of the filter bobbing up and down in the flow. I hope its alright.....

13. rainman

rainman Well Known Member Member

I understand how you feel. jut keep your parameters under control. that is all you can do. Have patience. (Something I seem to be lacking recently)

14. Butterfly

Mine do that too LOl they do look odd and can worry you but it will eventually go down I think.
    carol

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice