Blue "moonlight" lights?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by MatildaLjungberg, Dec 31, 2012.

1. MatildaLjungberg

MatildaLjungbergValued MemberMember

I was researching some lighting for my tanks & noticed that some light fixtures have a blue "moonlight" option. Are those meant to be left on all night? Do the fish see this spectrum? I do turn my lights off at night but was just wondering.

Thank you!

2. WaterSpirit

WaterSpiritValued MemberMember

Hi! I have an LED hood that has moonlight blue accents. They are supposed to be for replicating moonlight in an aquarium at night, but I'm not so sure if fish can see it (they probably can). I never turn on my white, bright lights though. I always just keep blue lights on since I have Neon Tetras and they prefer darker water. I feel like it reduces their stress since their eyes don't have to adjust very much between the blue and when I turn my lights off at night. :)

3. freak78

freak78Well Known MemberMember

In my opinion a tank should be dark at night to replicate their natural environment. I have the Blue moon lights on my tank and never use them. I just have a timer set for the regular lights.

4. ryanr

ryanrModeratorModerator Member

I run my FW lights as follows:
    1:30pm to 8:30pm - Day lights are on (7hrs a day)
    8:00pm to 2:00am - Moonlights are on (overlapping with day deliberately)
    2:00am to 1:30pm - No lighting at all, except ambient

I agree, a period of total dark is a good idea.

5. jetajockey

jetajockeyFishlore VIPMember

Personally I don't think complete darkness is really necessary. Moonlights are just that, meant to replicate night time, it's not pitch black at night outside unless it's really cloudy, and I think my nocturnal fish appreciate having some light to navigate around with.

6. psalm18.2

psalm18.2Fishlore LegendMember

I never use mine either.

I think it really depends on the fish. I can see tropical salt water fish with clear lagoons using moonlight. Lake fish would be more used to total dark, especially river fish.

Ever scuba dive in a lake? It stays dark even during the day time in deep lakes.

7. jetajockey

It depends on the lake I guess. What river is totally dark? The tannin stained one's I've been in are hard to see in, but far from being 'pitch black' at the bottom. Not that any of the fish, especially predators, stay in the deep spots anyway. When it gets dark the nocturnal ones come in to the shallows to hunt.

I think that people tend to treat the fish like they would want to be treated, which is totally fine, but doesn't always add up to replicating nature.

8. psalm18.2

psalm18.2Fishlore LegendMember

Have you scuba dived in lakes, rivers, or oceans at night?

9. jetajockey

No, I can't say that I have. I'm sure it's pretty dark in a deep lake or a deep part of the ocean at night since moonlight can only penetrate so far, but most aquarium fish don't come from these areas.

Just wanted to add a link to a nice article on lunar lighting. It focuses on corals but still, moonlight is a part of most natural habitats that our fish are originally from. I don't think it's absolutely essential by any means, but I don't see any evidence that our fish need complete darkness.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2013
  10. Ziggi

ZiggiWell Known MemberMember

I have the LED light on one of my tanks and another with an individual unit with 3 white LEDs on it. I think the latter replicates moon light better than the blue, hands down. the single unit is soft, I use it following the moon phases, so when it's 3/4 to full, its on, otherwise they get the light from the TV two rooms away. :)

There are periods of near-complete darkness if you erase the noise lighting from people stuff (cars, street lights, house lights... etc) during a new moon (I think thats the phase... ?) its pretty dark! I've been out in the woods at that time, put my night eyes to the test (they failed), but I digress...

My tank with the blue LEDs I rarely turn on the moonlight-lights. It's too bright in my opinion. I'll turn on once or twice a month with a super bright moon. But I'm considering not even then! I'll prolly end up getting the individual unit for that tank as well! :)

11. outlaw

outlawWell Known MemberMember

The moon LED's should only be bright enough to allow you to view at night while still providing a level of darkness.

The moon LED's are nice if you have nocturnal fish and want to view them when they are most active.

Outlaw

Last edited: Jan 3, 2013
  12. AnthonyC4C

AnthonyC4CWell Known MemberMember

I personally am all about the moonlighting but my tank is not equipped with the two different lighting in the top mounted lighting, though, I have the simulated sunlight bulbs, I switch them every night to black light, this weekend though I plan on getting the moonlight bubble bars that I can place on the bottom of my tank.

I honestly believe the moonlight simulation also has a great response with breeding.

13. Magoo

MagooFishlore VIPMember

I too have moon lights but never use them Mordin's blue light is quite strong and makes him look kind of ghostly lol ;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice