Blue Maxima Clam

des

hi, I have been in saltwater for a while now but am new to corals and was wondering if anyone could tell me what clams are like to keep, i.e. how hardy are they? I saw a wikid Blue Maxima Clam that I want. I will be running t5's in about a week but is there anything I need to no about feeding etc.

many thanks

sgould

Re: Blue Maxima Clam

I found the following information browsing through web search results:

The Maxima Clam is moderately hardy and requires bright lighting supplied by metal halide lamps to live, grow, and keep its intense colors. The type of lamp will depend on the depth of the tank and the position of the clam. A daylight fluorescent tube is also recommended. The Maxima Clam requires calcium levels of 400-480 mg/L, and a carbon hardness of 7 to 12 degrees. Proper levels of strontium and iodine are also needed. The subtrate should provide multiple areas into which the clam can burrow.

The Maxima Clam relies heavily on the photosynthesis of the algae growing in its mantle. However, it should be fed daily with a yeast-based suspension unless the tank is populated with fish and corals which are fed regularly. It also requires nitrogen for proper growth, and if the nitrate level is too low, additional nitrate should be added, but the level should not be higher than 2 mg/L.

And:

The Maxima Clam is often referred to as the Holy Grail of reef aquariums. It is probably the most difficult to maintain of the Tridacna species due to it's requirement of intense halide lighting and a very stable and seasoned tank, these jewels of the sea are best kept on your rockwork but will do fine in sandy substrate. It likes to eat Phytoplankton.

des

Re: Blue Maxima Clam

sweet thanks I shoulda thought of that, was struggling to find anything on reef sites etc

bhcaaron

Des, did you get the clam?

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
PNWAquatics
Replies
Views
Mhamilton0911
Replies
Views
HupGuppHup