Blue Lobster not eating Help

1. Nick Della Rocca Member Member

hey guys. so i got a 20 gallon tank with2 live plants 2 mossballs. some deco and hiding spots for the little guy.i also have a rock bubbler to add some addition oxygen. i have 4 danios and 2 other little fish. tank has been set up 2 weeks now. ph is 7.6 0 ammonia 0 nitrates 0 nitrites. the temp is about 78 to 80 degrees. heater is off. so i bought my blue yesterday. its now been 24 hours it has not yet eaten or really moved. i got him at petco. when the lady got him he was hiding and part of the shell from a molt was floating around. 70% was eaten. i am just concerened since he has not eaten. i have carni bites and shrump pellets. is this normal behavior he is young.

2. TankMaster25 Member Member

Your fish is most likely getting used to the aquarium and since you bought him at petco the food that they feed him is different from the one that you feed him. Give him 2 day for him to get used to the aquarium and get used to his new tank mates. At first the other tank mates might attack him but they will get used to each other in the next few days. Also he is not eating properly because for fish new foods can be hard for them to accept, but when he is hungry he will eat.

3. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

He'll need time to settle in & if he's just moulted he'll be feeling vulnerable.
    Keep an eye on your fish as he grows as he could decide they're a tasty snack.

4. Nick Della Rocca Member Member

ty guys for the feed back. i will give him a few days. the food i have put in there should i just use mynet thebest i can and try to get it out? or i was going to do a partial waterchange this weekend. should i eait since he is still grtting used to it. and yes i know he may make a meal of my fish. that is fine. i was goibg to ask if there is any cheap bottom dwellers i can add from time to tume to give him a nice snack anyway. ghost shrimp or something. what are you thoughts?

5. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

My thoughts are why feed live fish when there are plenty of alternatives?
    They would be unlikely to catch fish in the wild as they have a chance to get away, sorry but I disapprove with feeding live fish, just my opinion

6. TankMaster25 Member Member

I agree their is no reason to feed live food when they can eat food that is made specifically for them. Maybe you should try some veggie sticks once a week to change up his diet

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

7. Nick Della Rocca Member Member

alright. thanks for the idea. i was going to be getting some algea wafers for him tm. and i figure when he gets a little bit more active some lettuce or cucumber.

8. 1971roadrunner Well Known Member Member

Hi, I owned a blue lobster for nearly a year and the ? was not what would he eat, but rather what would he not eat. They eat (or try to eat) anything that they can! Give the guy some time :). I kept my guy very well fed to help keep him from going after the fishes which worked till he got much larger (and did go after them with some fin damage etc...) then he had to go :(. good luck.